Security for Windows XP

Soldato
Hi,

What security precautions would you advice for someone like me who is running Windows XP? I've installed a fresh copy of XP.

For my firewall: I am using a hardware firewall on my BT Homehub router, and I'm using the Windows firewall.

For my anti-virus and malware: I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Is this all that I need?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I second the Chrome recommendation.

Also, make yourself a standard account and use it. Don't install stuff like Quicktime or Java unless you need them. Get all the software updates, including Office if you use it. Get your software from trusted sources.

Soldato
There is a free six month trial of ESET Smart Security 5 (firewall and antivirus) if you search for it. May be more than you need.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Also, make yourself a standard account and use it. Don't install stuff like Quicktime or Java unless you need them. Get all the software updates, including Office if you use it. Get your software from trusted sources.

I agree.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Sounds like a good start, make sure AV and software updates are on to keep everything up to date.

Run your day to day account as a standard user and keep your administrator just for when you need to install software.

Edit, didnt see Theheyes reply. D'OH!

Soldato
Sounds like a good start, make sure AV and software updates are on to keep everything up to date.

Run your day to day account as a standard user and keep your administrator just for when you need to install software.

Edit, didnt see Theheyes reply. D'OH!

Don't worry, it's worth saying twice! :p

Soldato
Don't worry, it's worth saying twice! :p

Very much so. All though, depending on a user's convenience to security threshold, or security to convenience threshold (which ever way you would like to look at things), switching to a separate administrative account to perform administrative based operations and then switching back to a standard user account, whilst the most secure, may become a little tiresome after a while. There is a good chance that it will then simply result in them using an administrator account for all of their daily activities.

There are a couple of alternatives though in alleviating some of the inconvenience of needing to switch to a separate administrator account while still maintaing a good level of security by running as a standard user. There is something called SuRun, or MakeMeAdmin. I haven't had any experience with either so I am not sure how well they work but they might be worth giving a go.

If you're going to insist on running as an administrator all the time though, you could always simply restrict the most vulnerable applications to run with standard user rights.

Last edited:
Associate
Very much so. All though, depending on a user's convenience to security threshold, or security to convenience threshold (which ever way you would like to look at things), switching to a separate administrative account to perform administrative based operations and then switching back to a standard user account, whilst the most secure, may become a little tiresome after a while. There is a good chance that it will then simply result in them using an administrator account for all of their daily activities.

There are a couple of alternatives though in alleviating some of the inconvenience of needing to switch to a separate administrator account while still maintaing a good level of security by running as a standard user. There is something called SuRun, or MakeMeAdmin. I haven't had any experience with either so I am not sure how well they work but they might be worth giving a go.

If you're going to insist on running as an administrator all the time though, you could always simply restrict the most vulnerable applications to run with standard user rights.

You don't have to switch accounts if your using XP still you can run as on any program/installer just by shift right clicking, then using run as which prompts you to type in your admin account credentials and your away even works on explorer so you can access admin restricted files.

It's the one thing I miss on windows 7 as run as on explorer doesnt work anymore, have to switch to my domain admin account at work to do any work with certain file locations.

Soldato
I use AVG as my antivirus and comodo personal firewall.

Both brilliant products. Unobtrusive, light weight and when the **** hits the fans, they HAVE saved my bacon.

So I have faith in them.

Firefox as the browser.

Soldato
I run as admin all the time, have a normal router and ESET NOD32. Don't click on stupid links and don't download dodgy software, not really much more apart from common sense to be honest. The rest is down to personal preference such as internet browsers and ad blockers.

Back
Top Bottom