Seeking recommendations on new M2 drive

Associate
Greetings all, I'm looking for some storage advice as I'm looking to get some more in my current PC built around an Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

I currently have a WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD as my main drive and I'm considering getting a 4GB version of the same brand of M2 drive to slot in so I can move a bunch of games over onto it and free up some harddrive space on my current drives.
This M2 has done me very well as my main drive so I'm confident in adding another one, however at the price point I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives that are worth considering that would give the same performance, or better at different price points.

I only dip into upgrading things sporadically so its easy to fall out of touch with what's the current go-to choices.

I also note that the version I currently have has a built in heatsink, whilst the 4TB doesn't appear to have the option (there seems to be a slightly different version for the PS5 with a heatsink though). Is a heatsink desirable for gaming use and going to make a meaningful improvement, if so would it be worth looking at a different brand option?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Could get a 2tb and add a further 2tb later there's plenty of options on your motherboard for expansion.

Alternative take a look at the Adata XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not for gaming use, only really helps if your writing to the drive constantly.
That's reassuring to read!
Could get a 2tb and add a further 2tb later there's plenty of options on your motherboard for expansion.

Alternative take a look at the Adata XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB
I've already 3GB of games to basically move onto the drive instantly, thus freeing up a 3TB HDD for storage. So 4TB is really as small as I want to go otherwise I'm not really gaining enough storage to make it a meaningful upgrade.

Man of Honour
would it be worth looking at a different brand option?
They're good drives, something like Crucial's P3 is a big step down (though likely fine for a games drive). If you find a 990 Pro, M480 Pro, KC3000 or Fury Renegade cheaper then they're worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom