Seen horrific things...

Soldato
I will never wish a biker an off or any danger of any form when they are on the road. Having had a few serious offs in my short life on bikes. It's not fun.

But remember lads/ladette's, gear up.

I have seen so many bike riders in shorts and t-shirt.

I have a scar from one of my offs where I slid 50 meters on tarmac on my front in full leathers. I was getting my knee down on a roundabout until I had a low slide.

Had I not been in leathers. I wouldn't have skin left and probably would have been a fatality.

So please, if you see your bikers mates slacking in the gear department, give them an ear full. It's for their good.

Man of Honour
I don't understand why people don't even in this weather. My brother had an off and walked away with superficial scratches, but the cops that attended the scene reckoned he'd have been 90% dead or at least paralysed if it wasn't for he was wearing one of those jackets with the back armor thingies.

Soldato
OP
Because people become complacent "It's fine, I have been riding for years".

Yes but, if that's the case they should know that people on the roads are idiots and unpredictable and as a precaution to this, gear up! I really don't know why the police are not more head on this...

Yep, and that as well, just going for a 5 minute nip to the shops. Well walk then if you can't be bothered to put your gear on.

Don
I'm sure I've told this story before but I'll tell it again.

Once, I was waiting at a ferry terminal on my bike for a trip to france when this couple turn up. Rider in leathers, pillion in shorts. They stopped a little way away from me but I saw this other biker walk over to them. They seemed to be having a heated discussion so being nosey, I wandered closer.
As I got within earshot I see the approaching biker bend down, detach her lower left leg, then whack the pillion over the head with it. "That's what happens when you ride without gear!" she shouts.
The rider and pillion mounted up and rode off.

I had a chat with the woman with the detachable left leg and it turns out that she had a minor off at 30mph on a scooter when she was 16. She was in shorts and lost her left leg below the knee. Her bike had a hydraulic shifter operated by buttons on the left bar.

Soldato
OP
I'm sure I've told this story before but I'll tell it again.

Once, I was waiting at a ferry terminal on my bike for a trip to france when this couple turn up. Rider in leathers, pillion in shorts. They stopped a little way away from me but I saw this other biker walk over to them. They seemed to be having a heated discussion so being nosey, I wandered closer.
As I got within earshot I see the approaching biker bend down, detach her lower left leg, then whack the pillion over the head with it. "That's what happens when you ride without gear!" she shouts.
The rider and pillion mounted up and rode off.

I had a chat with the woman with the detachable left leg and it turns out that she had a minor off at 30mph on a scooter when she was 16. She was in shorts and lost her left leg below the knee. Her bike had a hydraulic shifter operated by buttons on the left bar.

Jesus, so glad I'm so anal about it as that is her life changed from one silly mistake.

Soldato
I have a scar from one of my offs ... Had I not been in leathers. I wouldn't have skin left and probably would have been a fatality.

My brother had an off and walked away with superficial scratches, but the cops that attended the scene reckoned he'd have been 90% dead or at least paralysed if it wasn't for he was wearing one of those jackets with the back armor thingies.

... biker bend down, detach her lower left leg, then whack the pillion over the head with it. "That's what happens when you ride without gear!" she shouts.

Bikes sound freaking dangerous, all the right gear can only help so much.

Associate
Completely agree with everyone.

I regularly see guys riding bikes in shorts/t-shirt/trainers/bare hands.

Yes some will get away with it and never need to experience what the all-the-fuss is about BUT it always makes me cringe and think about when you were younger and you came off your bike - grazed your knee and mummy made it better.

Unfortunately hitting the road at 30/40/50/60/70 with no gear mummy or anybody will be able to make it better when the graze is everywhere:(

Soldato
Years ago i saw a biker have a fall, he was on the opposite side of a dual carriageway.

He was sliding front first through a downhill left hander, basically face first into a curb/armco.

He was all geared up and was out cold for 40 minutes. When he woke up i dont think ive ever heard a man screaming like that in my life.

I think it was at that point that i decided if i saw a biker go down in shorts and tshirt, i dont think i could bring myself to stop

Soldato
If folk can kit up in Arizona where it can hit the mid 40's at this time of year then we have no real excuse not to.. A lot of gear that Americans use is availble in the UK.

But you can't force people, just like others should not be able to force us to stop riding motorcycles for whatever reasons they can think of.

Soldato
Ah yes nothing quite like your own personal leather jacuzzi on a hot day.

Having seen the gravel rash on my leathers and armour after a relatively slow spill I'd never ride without gear on. You'd be down to bone in an instant.

Soldato
I don't always wear full gear. Quite often only wear jeans and will very occasionally only wear a T-Shirt, although it has to be extraordinarily hot.

Can't be bothered getting into an argument over it really. Lots of people think you're an idiot for riding a bike anyway...people's personal risk element varies.

I've also hit 55mph on my cycle whilst descending in Lycra, which would have been pretty nasty if I'd fallen off, but it's a risk worth taking for the enjoyment (in my eyes)

Soldato
I have a scar from one of my offs where I slid 50 meters on tarmac on my front in full leathers. I was getting my knee down on a roundabout until I had a low slide.

Had I not been in leathers. I wouldn't have skin left and probably would have been...

See I personally think this is more idiotic than riding without the right gear.

I see more stupid riding by people in full leathers than I do people bimbling about in tshirt a jeans on a Harley.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Freedom of Choice.

If want to ride my bike at 140mph in a T-shirt and jeans and trainers i bloody well will. We all know the risks in doing so, same as well all know the risks in riding a bike. IT is exactly the same thing.

Bunch of hypocrites.

Associate
I would never not wear my gear, but I would never shout at someone or a have a go if they didn't.

Like Sagalout says, it is about personal risk, not wearing gear isn't going to kill anyone else, you are only ripping your own skin off if you crash.

Soldato
Freedom of Choice.

If want to ride my bike at 140mph in a T-shirt and jeans and trainers i bloody well will. We all know the risks in doing so, same as well all know the risks in riding a bike. IT is exactly the same thing.

Bunch of hypocrites.

If you want to ride at 140mph in T-shirt,jeans and trainers that's fine, it's your choice. I hope that the paramedics that scrape you off the floor exercise their choice not to treat you very well for being so stupid. Maybe not give you the same pain relief that they'd have given to somebody more sensible eh?

Riding a bike is dangerous, we all know that but why not minimise the danger by wearing appropriate gear?

Soldato
Freedom of Choice.

Bunch of hypocrites.
Calm down. End of the day when folk gripe about others not using kit it's only because they care about people and the future of motorcycling.

Back
Top Bottom