Self install energy monitors

Soldato
Hey all,

Looking to get an energy monitor after seeing mothers smart meter installed today!

Only issue is I live in a rented flat.

Was looking at the geo Minim Energy Monitor on Amazon, and was wondering how exactly it installs?

Will it be in the meter cupboard in the communal hallway or in the internal fuse board in the internal flat cupboard? In reading it clips onto a mains lead but they’re all inside the wall on the internal cupboard.

Very confused and have no idea where I start so I’m coming begging for help to you guys :p

Caporegime
At least get something that has a genuine use like the loop energy monitor.

They inform you if there is a cheaper tariff for you based on usage.

Soldato
It’ll fit to either of those brown wires.

The distance from the sender to the receiver will matter. They don’t tend to have the best wireless range.

Loop does work well if you’re happy to not have a dedicated display.

Man of Honour
We have a British Gas branded one of these from when they were giving them out as freebies and have had it for years. It's handy for a quick look at the end of the day to see that energy use is normal for the day. Usually for us that means 10-12 kw/h per day. You just clamp the sender to one of the input cables (instructions should tell you which) and it sends the info to the head unit wirelessly.

Soldato
GEO Minim Electricity Energy Monitor... British gas used to give these away, bargains can be had.
We have one, about 10m from the meter cupboard and its showing 3 bars signal. Works really well. :)

Only thing it doesnt know is which direction the power is going... We have solar as well, and if we are exporting (generating more than we are using) then it shows as usage on the meter, which can be confusing.
If you dont have solar then its a total non issue.

Soldato
... presumably you can't see the cable in your internal cupboard. ? to have the clasp closer

I want one that has a wireless connection to a phone+app ... no sign of that yet .. so I wouldn't be investing £40 it appears to cost

Soldato
OP
GEO Minim Electricity Energy Monitor... British gas used to give these away, bargains can be had.
We have one, about 10m from the meter cupboard and its showing 3 bars signal. Works really well. :)

Only thing it doesnt know is which direction the power is going... We have solar as well, and if we are exporting (generating more than we are using) then it shows as usage on the meter, which can be confusing.
If you dont have solar then its a total non issue.

Didn't know British Gas used to give these away, will keep an eye out!

... presumably you can't see the cable in your internal cupboard. ? to have the clasp closer

I want one that has a wireless connection to a phone+app ... no sign of that yet .. so I wouldn't be investing £40 it appears to cost

No cables in the internal cupboard, just the "fuse board" and all the cables are inside the wall one would imagine.

Associate
i use the a geomin to monitor my none smart meter all you have to do is place the sensor over the flashing led and setup the base station with your energy costs i.e. 15p kwh etc and everytime that led flashes its does a bit of math and works it out for you its dead simple to use.
48131881721_2edd5534f1_z.jpg

48131910148_afd7267723_z.jpg

Soldato
but the 64Kmm question is - for folks who already have one - how far from the meter does the display still function ?

Soldato
Mine reaches all the way from the meter cupboard to the box in the meter cupboard as thats where it went as soon as the installer left.

Still waiting for the op to tell me a reason for wanting one as genuinely interested

Soldato
Mine reaches all the way from the meter cupboard to the box in the meter cupboard as thats where it went as soon as the installer left.

Still waiting for the op to tell me a reason for wanting one as genuinely interested
typo ? the display is in the meter cupboard ?

.. finding out what power consumption of standby stuff is, finding out your cooker/hob energy, overnight use. ... lot's of things ?
I had checked washing machine and bread-maker with a smart plug 'meter'

Soldato
Not a typo. Its unplugged in the storage cupboard/meter cupboard as wondering how
Many penny's it costs to every time i turn a kettle on is pretty sad imo.

Back
Top Bottom