Selling a number plate?

Soldato
So, I have this "cherished" or "private" plate on my car. I don't really want it, and would like to sell it.

I don't think it's worth much, but if I were to sell it for £xx on eBay - and the buyer paid the £80 to transfer the plate onto his/her car. Would I be right in thinking I'd need to pay to have a numberplate re-issued on my car?

Whats the best way to go about this? nngb.com valued it for £550, but I'd be quite happy for a couple of hundred as long as I didn't have to pay too much in the way of fees.

Caporegime
Scottland said:
So, I have this "cherished" or "private" plate on my car. I don't really want it, and would like to sell it.

I don't think it's worth much, but if I were to sell it for £xx on eBay - and the buyer paid the £80 to transfer the plate onto his/her car. Would I be right in thinking I'd need to pay to have a numberplate re-issued on my car?

Whats the best way to go about this? nngb.com valued it for £550, but I'd be quite happy for a couple of hundred as long as I didn't have to pay too much in the way of fees.

I stuck mine on ebay and made it clear the seller pays the £80 fee.

This fee includes the issue of a plate to the donor car too, so no problems with that.

Valuations from companys are all well and good, but you only get the money when the plate sells. Which of course could take a long while

Soldato
OP
Simon said:
I stuck mine on ebay and made it clear the seller pays the £80 fee.

This fee includes the issue of a plate to the donor car too, so no problems with that.

Valuations from companys are all well and good, but you only get the money when the plate sells. Which of course could take a long while

Quite, I was planning on selling it via eBay + fees so if that includes a reissue of plate to me, then all the better.

Are there any problems selling a plate thats currently on a car, is there anything I need to declare on the eBay auction (other than it's plus fees)?

Caporegime
Scottland said:
Quite, I was planning on selling it via eBay + fees so if that includes a reissue of plate to me, then all the better.

Are there any problems selling a plate thats currently on a car, is there anything I need to declare on the eBay auction (other than it's plus fees)?

Nah not really, Im selling a plate off a car that is now probably the size of a TV. Waiting for the v5 to come back from the DVLA though.

If the donor car is taxed and Mot'd then it is very very easy. If it is not taxed then its a problem, unless SORN has been declared immediately after tax has ran out.

Check out the DVLA website for all the info you need

Permabanned
Simon,

I have a private plate from many moons ago, which is just sat in my garage. The car the plate was on was swapped back to its original number and the private plate has never been used since.

How do i sell it on ebay, and whats with the £80 charge!?

If it sells, who pays the £80 (and is it to the DVLA, and for what!?)

Caporegime
Oracle said:
Simon,

I have a private plate from many moons ago, which is just sat in my garage. The car the plate was on was swapped back to its original number and the private plate has never been used since.

How do i sell it on ebay, and whats with the £80 charge!?

If it sells, who pays the £80 (and is it to the DVLA, and for what!?)
Read the DVLA site, its where I got my info from.

If the plate isn't on a car as such then it should be on retention, as otherwise you have no proof of owning the plate if you no longer have the V5

You pay the DVLA for transfering the plate, updating records and v5s and issuing a new plate to the donor car. Its between the two partys of the sale to agree on who pays the cost, usually it is the buyer though.

Permabanned
Simon said:
Read the DVLA site, its where I got my info from.

If the plate isn't on a car as such then it should be on retention, as otherwise you have no proof of owning the plate if you no longer have the V5

You pay the DVLA for transfering the plate, updating records and v5s and issuing a new plate to the donor car. Its between the two partys of the sale to agree on who pays the cost, usually it is the buyer though.

I have the original Certifcate that came with the plate! The V5 was obviously reissued with the original plate on it!

Soldato
Oracle said:
:confused: Thought I had to pay for that!

When you say "it's sat in the garage" I assume you are referring to the physical plate itself which is worthless. The valuble thing to have is the right to display the plate on a vehicle. If that registration mark hasn't actually been used in some time then unless you have kept it on retention then you may well have lost this right. Unless you can dig up some documentation which states that you have the plate on retention then you are best off contacting the DVLA and finding out the current status of the registration mark in question.

Back
Top Bottom