Selling An Old Phone/Erasing Data.

Caporegime
Hi,
Just a quick question. I'm selling an old phone, so should wiping everything by way of resetting it to factory default be sufficient?

Thanks.

Btw, where's a good site to buy phone cases from?

Soldato
As above, encrypt the device, and then reset to factory default. If you only reset to factory default, then your data could be retrieved.

Soldato
On my S6, there's 'Encrypt Device' under Lock Screen & Security in Settings, and it says 'You can encrypt accounts, settings, downloaded apps and their data, media, and other files. Encryption takes an hour or more. Connect your device to a charger'. So after doing that and formatting, no one could retrieve anything from the internal storage?

It's actually my S7 Edge I'd like to do that with but it doesn't have the Encrypt Device screen as my S6. It only has an Encrypt SD Card option. Is my S7 encrypted by default so I can just go ahead and factory reset and nothing is retrievable?

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure but I thought they started enabling it by default at some point. I couldn't find an option on my S7 edge when I sold it recently.

Caporegime
OP
Seriously though its a phone, whats on there that a factory reset wouldn't remove and who would go to the bother of trying to retrieve someones data from a £20 second hand phone. :p

True, there isn't much on it to be too concerned about. I suppose I wouldn't mind educating myself and learning a little about these steps, though. :)

Soldato
Years ago I inherited a mates Samsung slider - I went through it and found two pictures of his wife starkers on the bed. She was very fit and shaven.

Soldato
If you can't find any secure erase options, then just remove any memory and SIM cards then set it to record video of a plain wall while on charge, until it fills up it's internal memory. Delete the video then factory reset - that should make retrieval of any personal data harder. Repeat and rinse until you feel it's enough, but once ought to do it.

Caporegime
OP
If you can't find any secure erase options, then just remove any memory and SIM cards then set it to record video of a plain wall while on charge, until it fills up it's internal memory. Delete the video then factory reset - that should make retrieval of any personal data harder. Repeat and rinse until you feel it's enough, but once ought to do it.

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom