• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Selling GPU to CEX

Associate
Hi

Looking to sell my EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition (luckily managed to get a 3080 ti FE) but don't want to sell through ebay cause scammers etc, was looking at Facebook marketplace but this also looks dodgy right now when it comes to selling a GPU,

I honestly don't want to scalp any one that needs a card so I thought the best way sell with no hassle would be to CEX,

They are offering about £600 for this card but selling it at £900 which seems just as bad as the ebay scammers, does anyone have any experience selling to them, I don't have the original box so not sure what the process is but it's pretty annoying knowing they are marking up 2nd hand GPU's by 300 quid, doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm hearing some horror stories about sellers and buyers of GPU's on ebay even at "buy now"

genuinely don't want to screw anyone over but the levels of suspicion in the online marketplaces right now are crazy, I'd imagine it's easier to sell an actual human being right now,

that's why I'm thinking CEX, but this mob look like they're just legalised scalping so wanted to see the boards opinions on them.

Associate
OP
my friends wouldn't know what a GPU is,

the card is just going to sit gathering dust if I don't take it in to CEX, was going to try gumtree but would be a bit worried about face to face, never know who's going to show up,

996 more posts and I'll have a look at putting it on the MM market here :D

Associate
OP
it's more to do with the fact that some poor sod that needs a graphics card is going to be fleeced for 900 when I would give them it outside the store for 600, hate doing it,

it's the same everywhere I suppose, way of the world right now, the greed is disgusting, game always pi**ed me off when they would buy a new title of you for £16 and then put it up for sale at £35,

I'm not wanting a Knighthood here just wanted to know the best way to get this card into the hands of an actual gamer.

Associate
OP
When selling to CEX, book it in online

Then when you take it to the store all you need to do is give them the reference number that they've emailed you and leave it with them

They'll do the checks on the card and the money goes into your bank account the next day via faster payments

Takes no time at all and you're emailed confirmation every step of the way

Thanks for this advice mate,

I don't see the exact model on CEX (evga 2080 ti black edition) can I book it in against a similar model or does it need to be the exact same one?

Associate
OP
I don't really understand why you don't want to sell it face to face through Facebook marketplace. There's almost no risk, you can show the buyer its working and they pay cash. If they Rob you, you report to the police as with anything and insurance should deal with it -you literally can't lose, and to be perfectly honest I don't understand why you are so paranoid. Is life really so degraded that you don't trust other human beings in the UK?

In Finland we have a marketplace with no third party, basically gumtree, and what you advertise you sell for cash upfront through bank transfer or cash in hand. Anything goes wtong you report it to the police. Anyone doing pretty crime who wants a criminal record for 600£, well lol. Their name is directly linked to their bank information and their digital security number, they are pretty easy to track down after by the authorities. To avoid any risk you just sell for cash in hand.

Imo advertise on Facebook and cash in hand- you can prove its working to the buyer too so trust goes both ways.

Mate I live in the East End of Glasgow, people who meet in car parks to exchange £600 around here don't tend to be selling graphics cards, and as far as showing it working I would be wary about inviting someone into my house, It's not really an issue of trusting human beings but more about using common sense, I personally know folk around here that would quite gladly take a criminal charge for £50 never mind £600 lol,

Finland sounds really charming though, I'll need to visit sometime.

I'm taking it in today to save me the hassle, thanks everyone for the replies.

Associate
OP
As interest, did they take it at the price listed on the website?

[Update]

Took it in yesterday, they scanned the card and gave me the price for the basic RTX 2080 TI 11GB model (£585), I had no boxes or cables but they didn't mark the price down because of this,

Told me to come back in 45 mins, I came back and they paid the cash there and then, painless.

I anyone is looking for a 2080ti for a whopping £900 get yourself into the Glasgow Union Street branch, said they were putting it on display today (he was talking like it was the Mona Lisa!),

Thanks everyone for the contributions to the thread, just sorry I couldn't have got this into the hands of someone he needed it,

gaming gods forgive me.

Associate
OP
It'll be the first 2080Ti Glasgow has seen! :D

There will be queues all the way down Argyle Street with people waiting to get their photo taken with the rare 2080ti,

kids crying into their packed lunches, store manager on a megaphone... "please, no pushing, no touching and one picture per customer."

A day the good people of Glasgow will never forget! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom