• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Selling GPU to CEX

Associate
Hi

Looking to sell my EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition (luckily managed to get a 3080 ti FE) but don't want to sell through ebay cause scammers etc, was looking at Facebook marketplace but this also looks dodgy right now when it comes to selling a GPU,

I honestly don't want to scalp any one that needs a card so I thought the best way sell with no hassle would be to CEX,

They are offering about £600 for this card but selling it at £900 which seems just as bad as the ebay scammers, does anyone have any experience selling to them, I don't have the original box so not sure what the process is but it's pretty annoying knowing they are marking up 2nd hand GPU's by 300 quid, doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited:
Associate
It's quite easy to do, you don't need the original box for graphics cards. They will take it from you and then run tests on it, and if it all works will give you the cash. Just leave enough time, when I traded in, I had to come back the next day for the cash.

You could always put a buy now price on ebay but that wouldn't stop someone from buying it just to scalp. Not sure if allowed but you could try a deal with someone on the forums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hi

Looking to sell my EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition (luckily managed to get a 3080 ti FE) but don't want to sell through ebay cause scammers etc, was looking at Facebook marketplace but this also looks dodgy right now when it comes to selling a GPU,

I honestly don't want to scalp any one that needs a card so I thought the best way sell with no hassle would be to CEX,

They are offering about £600 for this card but selling it at £900 which seems just as bad as the ebay scammers, does anyone have any experience selling to them, I don't have the original box so not sure what the process is but it's pretty annoying knowing they are marking up 2nd hand GPU's by 300 quid, doesn't sit right with me.

just be careful with competitor links, you will get a warning then a ban if you leave them up, if i didnt already have a rtx 3090 i'd have taken the card off you :(

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm hearing some horror stories about sellers and buyers of GPU's on ebay even at "buy now"

genuinely don't want to screw anyone over but the levels of suspicion in the online marketplaces right now are crazy, I'd imagine it's easier to sell an actual human being right now,

that's why I'm thinking CEX, but this mob look like they're just legalised scalping so wanted to see the boards opinions on them.

Soldato
Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm hearing some horror stories about sellers and buyers of GPU's on ebay even at "buy now"

genuinely don't want to screw anyone over but the levels of suspicion in the online marketplaces right now are crazy, I'd imagine it's easier to sell an actual human being right now,

that's why I'm thinking CEX, but this mob look like they're just legalised scalping so wanted to see the boards opinions on them.

do you have freinds who are looking to buy a card, you could be a local hero, its a shame you dont have 1k posts as you could hop on to the mm market here and sell instantly :(

as you say the shop your thinking of going to will flip that for £300 profit, which is a bit scalper like, not to mention it could be bought and re-listed on that auction site and sell for more, which would really suck :(

Associate
OP
my friends wouldn't know what a GPU is,

the card is just going to sit gathering dust if I don't take it in to CEX, was going to try gumtree but would be a bit worried about face to face, never know who's going to show up,

996 more posts and I'll have a look at putting it on the MM market here :D

Man of Honour
Just sell to those guys what are you worrying about, £300 markup is nothing they are charging like a grand more for the GPU i sold them. £300 profit is chicken feed I'm surprised they get out of bed for that on a £600 purchase tbh.

Associate
I've sold a bunch of stuff to CEX and never had an issue with them. Yes they have a heavy mark-up on what they sell, but they do also offer a warranty on everything. If you're happy with what CEX will offer you, I'd take it there :)

Associate
OP
it's more to do with the fact that some poor sod that needs a graphics card is going to be fleeced for 900 when I would give them it outside the store for 600, hate doing it,

it's the same everywhere I suppose, way of the world right now, the greed is disgusting, game always pi**ed me off when they would buy a new title of you for £16 and then put it up for sale at £35,

I'm not wanting a Knighthood here just wanted to know the best way to get this card into the hands of an actual gamer.

Soldato
When selling to CEX, book it in online

Then when you take it to the store all you need to do is give them the reference number that they've emailed you and leave it with them

They'll do the checks on the card and the money goes into your bank account the next day via faster payments

Takes no time at all and you're emailed confirmation every step of the way

Associate
it's more to do with the fact that some poor sod that needs a graphics card is going to be fleeced for 900 when I would give them it outside the store for 600, hate doing it,

On the other side of the coin they have to pay their staff and they'll be providing a warranty for whoever buys it. Currently it's about the safest and easiest way to get rid of stuff.

Associate
OP
When selling to CEX, book it in online

Then when you take it to the store all you need to do is give them the reference number that they've emailed you and leave it with them

They'll do the checks on the card and the money goes into your bank account the next day via faster payments

Takes no time at all and you're emailed confirmation every step of the way

Thanks for this advice mate,

I don't see the exact model on CEX (evga 2080 ti black edition) can I book it in against a similar model or does it need to be the exact same one?

Associate

I don't see the exact model on CEX (evga 2080 ti black edition) can I book it in against a similar model or does it need to be the exact same one?

They only list a generic one and a generic one with an AIO cooler, I've been looking at selling mine as well. ;)

Soldato

According to their website:

"If you are interested in selling a product that is not on our website, then please contact us with the details of what you would like to sell".

Associate
Don't go to eBay. If scammer decides to play with u ebay supports them. Bigest problem with ebay is: they cant mediate disputes properly becoz they don't have a way to check the item sold. So they will always go to buyers side.

U can make as many pictures or videos as u like, u cant prove the item u send is the item was listed, and that's that. The same goes with buyer, he can say item not as described coz it doesn't work and that's that.

Soldato
On the other side of the coin they have to pay their staff and they'll be providing a warranty for whoever buys it. Currently it's about the safest and easiest way to get rid of stuff.

Yeah very true and OP dont forget no one is forcing someone to pay £900, if they are happy to pay it then thats their choice. I doubt its £300 profit either which a private seller would get minus fees. Probably be less than £100 for CEX.

Back
Top Bottom