Selling PC dont want to reinstall what should I remove?

Associate
As title says. Really not got time to do a full reinstall. Apart from running C/Cleaner, removing my programes. Anything else I need to do? Sadly due to work commitments a full format is a no go as PC neded asap :(

Associate
what the above guy said, but personally i would reformat, what if there is a file you may have missed and it has some important personal info on it?

its not worth the hassle of saving 1 hour imo.

Permabanned
Have to admit, I'd be very tempted to run a hard-drive cleaner on the machine overnight, and even while you're at work for maximum removal.

Unless they're paying up for a Windows license, don't bother installing Windows.

Don
basmic said:
Have to admit, I'd be very tempted to run a hard-drive cleaner on the machine overnight, and even while you're at work for maximum removal.

Unless they're paying up for a Windows license, don't bother installing Windows.

I'm in agreement with Basmic over this... can never be too careful

Stelly

Capodecina
Soldato
Reinstalling Windows takes about 40 mins. You could do that while you're having dinner.... going down the shops, anything. Do a quick format too - you could do the whole thing in under an hour.

Vai

Vai

Soldato
basmic said:

I would do the same, I have used and can recommend DBAN:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Permabanned
fumbles said:
2nd... Just formating won't delete your stuff. You could have stuff left in pagefile, ie credit card info, or other identity stuff.
It's not a formatter.

Taken from http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

Associate
OP
Ok then I will run that and do reformat. Stuff the time factor its not as you say worth the risk!
I am sure the answer to this is no but...

Is there anyway to back up drivers and service packs onto a disk to save download time?

Man of Honour
Personally, as I have some very senstive data on my pc, I wouldn't sell the HDD. It would have a very nice 6" nail in it and would never have the joy of a read/write again.

Although a wipe with a random data writer will do for most people.:p

Burnsy

Associate
If someone else is buying it you shouldn't have to backup drivers or service packs. If they're buying a license from you then all they should get is the DVD(CD) with the OS and the cdkey it uses. Unless it is to a friend or family member or someone close that don't have a clue how to use a computer then drivergrabber is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom