Sennheiser Game One Upgrade?

Associate
OP
Sound Blaster Z would drive 250 ohm Beyers fine.
While needing slightly more voltage, DT990 draws lot less current and is hence less power hungry than AKGs.
Again it might struggle in driving AKGs in some circumstances, if you don't care about hearing safe sound pressure.
AE-5 and G6 again can certainly drive those without problems.
AE-5 can even push out more power than AKG specs those headphones to survive. (200mW)

But actually there's possible development coming in sound cards:
We hear in 3D with two ears, because head causes direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.
Unfortunately that "upstair's guy" forgot to standardize human head shape.
So if listener's head shape isn't close to average, immersion can suffer because binaural cues aren't accurate.

Creative has developed and finalized tech with head and ear shape customizable HRTF algorithm.
But so far it's available only in audiophile priced USB dongle for phones/tablets without sound card's normal features, or even PC based control software.
So might be that Creative is readying some new sound cards to replace Z-serie.
#

I know i'm probably asking some really silly questions so apologies. But is the AE-5 better than fiio e10k?

Soldato
Asking Esat if he thinks the AE-5 is better than the E10K, would be like asking an Apple fan if he thought the iPhone was better than a Samsung Galaxy. :p

FiiO E10K is a good choice though, for those who don't care for gaming much, don't want any kind of positional surround sound locating or need microphone input. For those who do want those things, the AE-5 is clearly the better choice.

Associate
OP
Asking Esat if he thinks the AE-5 is better than the E10K, would be like asking an Apple fan if he thought the iPhone was better than a Samsung Galaxy. :p

FiiO E10K is a good choice though, for those who don't care for gaming much, don't want any kind of positional surround sound locating or need microphone input. For those who do want those things, the AE-5 is clearly the better choice.

Ok cool, you have to understand I'm not very clued up on the sound side of PC's. :p

Soldato
Ok cool, you have to understand I'm not very clued up on the sound side of PC's. :p

Fair enough. :)

The E10K is a DAC/amp, which is essentially an external sound card with just plain stereo sound without any kind of surround sound effect processing and no input for microphone. Such devices are probably more ideal for music listeners than people who do a lot of gaming.

Well think i'm getting there with my decision, i'm pretty set on AE-5 but should i get the K702, or is it really worth going all out and getting the K712?

I think the K702 is better for ultimate sound locating. K712 while also very good (maybe slightly below the K702), has a bit more stronger bass. K702 can be modded though to elevate the bass a bit more than stock.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I suppose if you are a serious gamer and locating sounds in FPS games is paramount, then the K702 would have to be the better choice.

Associate
I have the Game One, Sennheiser HD58x and K702 currently (having owned the K712 Pro in the past). Keeping the Game One for use through the Xbox Pad - the others are used through a Creative G6 on PS4 (AKGs need the grunt of the amp). Up until yesterday, the 58x with clip on Mic were my choice - after doing the K702 bass mod, they are my preferred gaming headphones (have an adaptor on mine to use the VModa BoomPro Mic which makes it easy to convert to an awesome headset for voice chat).

Bass mod on the K702 has made a difference without damaging the strengths of that headphone - still would take the 58x for music listening (just) but imho the K702 + bass mod negates the need to spend an extra £90+ on the K712 Pro. Now if only AKG didn't charge so much for those replacement K712 pads :p

Associate
OP
I have the Game One, Sennheiser HD58x and K702 currently (having owned the K712 Pro in the past). Keeping the Game One for use through the Xbox Pad - the others are used through a Creative G6 on PS4 (AKGs need the grunt of the amp). Up until yesterday, the 58x with clip on Mic were my choice - after doing the K702 bass mod, they are my preferred gaming headphones (have an adaptor on mine to use the VModa BoomPro Mic which makes it easy to convert to an awesome headset for voice chat).

Bass mod on the K702 has made a difference without damaging the strengths of that headphone - still would take the 58x for music listening (just) but imho the K702 + bass mod negates the need to spend an extra £90+ on the K712 Pro. Now if only AKG didn't charge so much for those replacement K712 pads :p

What is the bass mod? because yeah, judging by the comments and suggestions its just the bass that lets the K702 down. So if there is a way to improve it then I will probably just get them.

Soldato
oh it does work, I did it on mine.
If you are careful and take the sticker off without tearing it, you can stick it on a piece of kitchen foil and make the mod reversible, although once off, no way was it going back on mine :D

Back
Top Bottom