Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?

Associate
Right Folks, Not got any of these models, But of course looking at a purchase now i can get the 650 for £295 from AudioAffair. Now the 660's are going to cost £430 do people think that they are worth £135 more over the 650's

Man of Honour
Largely the biggest difference seems to be that they've managed to get the same characteristic performance at a lower impedance so easier to drive. Some people apparently claiming they have better bass than the 600/650s but as someone else said that is likely due to people not properly driving the 650s, etc. but if they do have a bit better sub bass and a few tweaks to treble they might be worth the money if they otherwise capture the characteristics of the other 600 series.

Man of Honour
I'm quite tempted but I'd definitely have to try them for myself to see they actually do improve on the 650s while keeping the same signature characteristic as I've no desire to move on from my current 600 series headphones.

Associate
OP
So many Headphones out there its bloody hard to choose lolol and RS don't have a big enough stock in Hull branch to test so its just going on reviews the most and getting opions on music genre which would suit but having few different tastes in music makes it hard to bloody choose LOLOL

Man of Honour
Was looking at the "Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones plus specially matched HDVD 800 headphones amplifier" bundle - that is a bit more than £880 heh - the amp is £1700 alone - in the Dior branding probably £4K for the pair.

EDIT: I doubt it would top my current setup though in a way worth that kind of money :s

Soldato
I just read Jude Mansilla's preliminary thoughts on the HD660S over on Head-Fi and they are based on the HD700 driver. This doesn't mean that it sounds like the HD700, it means that it has the improved detail retrieval of the HD700 but it's sound signature is tuned very much to sound like an HD650. The initial FR graph shows there is very little difference between them, the HD660S has a smidge more lower bass, the highs are mostly the same except for some peak shuffling in the 15kHz to 20kHz band and the mids, are if anything, even more forward than the HD650.

Best description is HD650 PLUS. :)

Oh and if you did think the HD650 were veiled, the HD660S are most definitely not.

Associate
From early measurements I'd prob hang on to your HD650's unless you want less bass boost. I don't think there's going to much resolution between them. The HD700 driver is just as capable as the 600 driver but was tuned badly due to the housing. The HD660S will come across as more shouty than the HD650. There are of course things measurements won't show like grain. I will prob buy them as I'm curious, measurements don't always tell the truth so there's that.

Soldato
Understandable then, I am already well covered in that department and to be honest, I spend most of my time listening to music, gaming comes a very poor second - I may have burned myself out a bit by putting many hundreds of hours into Witcher 3 and it's amazing DLC.

Last edited:
Associate
Witcher has that effect. I think I'm on my 4th playthrough now. The 4k patch came out for PS4 Pro users so started another but since my PC came I've been just getting lost in the cool games they have. Can't believe I've waited this long!

There's not much I'm interested in Audio wise, I still listen everyday but when something pops up I'm more active. The new LCD-2C and HD660S really interest me but apart from that. I'm enjoying the Atticus though it's a good headphone.

Might pick up a Sennheiser GSX1200 for it's 7.1 SS if it's volume isn't too bad with the Atticus.

Man of Honour
Might pick up a Sennheiser GSX1200 for it's 7.1 SS if it's volume isn't too bad with the Atticus.

Unless you get good results through an external amp not a chance - the GSX has basically the same output power as a mobile device.

On paper no reason why you can't pair it up with an external amp but some seem to degrade the surround reproduction and others have reported distortion/clipping but I'm assuming they've just not got the input and output levels set right.

Back
Top Bottom