sense mi skew

Soldato
Had a read round the web and a bit confused.

On my ch6 with a Ryzen 1700 with sense mi skew on auto my max temps with the wraith spire cooler were low 50C. Now with sense mi skew disabled the temps max out at 65C.

Which is correct , if either ?

Soldato
With the 1700, Sense mi skew should just be left on auto really. The 1800x, 1700x and 1600x all read the temps higher than they actually are so as to bring the cpu fan speed up higher at full load. If you had one of the "x" cpu's then disabling sense mi skew would be a more accurate way of knowing the cpu temp. With the 1700 leaving sense mi skew on auto is the way to go.

Soldato
On the latest bios I find disabled is best.
In the massive thread on oc.net they recommend disabled.

There is only one thing worse than than having high temps on a clock and that is having a temp reading 15c/20c below what it actually is. The massive thread on oc.net is wrong when they say to disable sense mi skew on any Ryzen sku's other than the x's.

Associate
There is only one thing worse than than having high temps on a clock and that is having a temp reading 15c/20c below what it actually is. The massive thread on oc.net is wrong when they say to disable sense mi skew on any Ryzen sku's other than the x's.

With the latest bios 1403 my temps are lower than room temp with this enabled(auto)
Disabled gives a more realistic temp for me. I still don't think its right but definitely better then below room temp.

Soldato
With the latest bios 1403 my temps are lower than room temp with this enabled(auto)
Disabled gives a more realistic temp for me. I still don't think its right but definitely better then below room temp.

In that case then there is something seriously wrong with the way the temp sensors are set up in 1403. I'm on 1401 and mine always read between 49c and 51c under full load. Idle is about 24c using a 360 AIO.

Soldato
OP
In that case then there is something seriously wrong with the way the temp sensors are set up in 1403. I'm on 1401 and mine always read between 49c and 51c under full load. Idle is about 24c using a 360 AIO.

I am on 1403 and just wanted to be sure. Auto max temp low 50's, disabled max temp 65c, no other changes.

Either temp is fine just not keen on overclocking higher until understand it better in case the 65c is the real temp which it doesn't seem to be.

Soldato
I am on 1403 and just wanted to be sure. Auto max temp low 50's, disabled max temp 65c, no other changes.

Either temp is fine just not keen on overclocking higher until understand it better in case the 65c is the real temp which it doesn't seem to be.

The microde on all the nonX cpu's are writen with no built in offset when set to Auto. So the Auto sense mi skew setting is actually set to "Enabled". If you change that to "Disabled" you then force the microde switch to invoke the offset, which will give you the higher temp readings you are seeing.
With all the X cpu's the microde on the cpu's is switched the opposite way round. That still means sense mi skew is set to "Enabled" when Auto is selected, but in the X cpu's case that enabled setting invokes the temp offset. That's why peeps with X cpu's were up in arms that they were running higher temps and higher fan speeds. AMD did this on purpose so as to bring cpu fan speeds up earlier in the heat cycle because X cpu's are clocked higher at stock than non X cpu's.
If you happened to have an X cpu you would be seeing the correct cpu temps if sense mi skew was set to Disabled. If you have a non x cpu it should be set to Auto or Enabled to get the correct cpu temps.

Soldato
OP
The microde on all the nonX cpu's are writen with no built in offset when set to Auto. So the Auto sense mi skew setting is actually set to "Enabled". If you change that to "Disabled" you then force the microde switch to invoke the offset, which will give you the higher temp readings you are seeing.
With all the X cpu's the microde on the cpu's is switched the opposite way round. That still means sense mi skew is set to "Enabled" when Auto is selected, but in the X cpu's case that enabled setting invokes the temp offset. That's why peeps with X cpu's were up in arms that they were running higher temps and higher fan speeds. AMD did this on purpose so as to bring cpu fan speeds up earlier in the heat cycle because X cpu's are clocked higher at stock than non X cpu's.
If you happened to have an X cpu you would be seeing the correct cpu temps if sense mi skew was set to Disabled. If you have a non x cpu it should be set to Auto or Enabled to get the correct cpu temps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation that makes perfect sense, seems they could have found an easier and more straightforward to increase the fan speed for x ryzens.

Associate
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I'm a bit confused because I am seeing conflicting reports about which setting to use for my 1800X.

This post on Reddit says I should set Sense MI Skew to Enabled but you're saying i should have it disabled. I'm unsure what to do any more. I've had it set to Enabled because my fans kept spinning up randomly when nothing was happening, then I set it to Disabled. Now I'm not sure which one gives me the true Temperatures. It is LOWER when I have it enabled. It is HIGHER (50C idle) when I have it disabled. So which one is it? :D

Soldato
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I'm a bit confused because I am seeing conflicting reports about which setting to use for my 1800X.

This post on Reddit says I should set Sense MI Skew to Enabled but you're saying i should have it disabled. I'm unsure what to do any more. I've had it set to Enabled because my fans kept spinning up randomly when nothing was happening, then I set it to Disabled. Now I'm not sure which one gives me the true Temperatures. It is LOWER when I have it enabled. It is HIGHER (50C idle) when I have it disabled. So which one is it? :D

Things have changed a little bit bios wise since that post.
Newer bios's on the CH6 have the bios set up completely to so as to set MI Skew to AMD's favour. To get your proper CPU temp now you need to set SenseMi Skew = Enabled and Offset = 272.

Associate
Things have changed a little bit bios wise since that post.
Newer bios's on the CH6 have the bios set up completely to so as to set MI Skew to AMD's favour. To get your proper CPU temp now you need to set SenseMi Skew = Enabled and Offset = 272.

Thank you so much for confirming. That applies to both X and non-X CPU's? I've an 1800X. Going to set the Skew to Enabled :)

Associate
Hey kitfit1 - I had to dig up this old topic too. So just for my peace of mind - a C6H with a newer, zen+ rdy bios (currently the 6001 beta) and an R5 1600X -> I need to set SenseMI Skew to enabled AND use the 272 offset?

If you read this, thx man! This info is greatly apprechiated! Happy Easter!

Soldato
OP
From my experience for non x series Ryzen cpu’s like my 1700 you want the setting giving the lower temp. Mine idles at high twenties c depending on room temperature. For the x series Ryzen you want the setting that gives the higher temp, which used to be the default setting.

Someone with an x series is the best bet to confirm.

Soldato
Hey kitfit1 - I had to dig up this old topic too. So just for my peace of mind - a C6H with a newer, zen+ rdy bios (currently the 6001 beta) and an R5 1600X -> I need to set SenseMI Skew to enabled AND use the 272 offset?

If you read this, thx man! This info is greatly apprechiated! Happy Easter!

If you are all core overclocking then yes, enabled with a 272 offset wil give you the most accurate temps. Bear in mind though, the CH6 temp sensors are rubbish to start with. If you are just running you 1600x at stock with it's normal boost, then don't change SenseMI Skew or the offset. Leave it alone, because it's designed to work fine like that.

Back
Top Bottom