Sensible or not so.

Caporegime
So my Astra has finally given up so now actually going to be forced into a purchase, I have been for a while anyway, but due to some house plans I'm having to revise my initial budget.

The issue is I really don't know if should go for the 'fun' or 'sensible' option. What ever it is though needs to be petrol and £11k max.

By 'sensible' I'm talking a Hyundai i30, Skoda Fabia, Ford Focus, Seat Ibiza. Practical, less risky in terms of maintenance probably.

Then there is the more 'fun' option. BMW Z4 | Z4, Audi TT, 350Z :eek: But with fun the bills might come?

Or try and look for something in the middle, like an A4 or an older than initially planned 3 series 2011 or something?

Uchhh decisions.

What sort of mileage do you do?

Barely anything. From this time last year under 4500 (thank the lord for flexitime), year before that was just under 6000. Work is only 8m round trip, but I'm cycling a bit now that I've found a non life threatening route and can work from home.

It's makes the fun option more realistic. But then I'd probably drive more if I had something interesting to drive.

The issue is I really don't know if should go for the 'fun' or 'sensible' option. What ever it is though needs to be petrol and £11k max.

By 'sensible' I'm talking a Hyundai i30, Skoda Fabia, Ford Focus, Seat Ibiza. Practical, less risky in terms of maintenance probably.

Kia Ceed, Mazda 3 or Leon? We're also starting to look at getting a "new" car (currently have W reg Yarris :)) and those 3 are top of our list for under £11k and under 3/4 years old. We had a new Ceed as hire car last year in Cornwall and really liked it but we haven't tested any cars yet. Going on holiday later this week so the proper search will start when we get back.

Take the 3 fun cars for test drives.

This.

Though in your position I'd be looking at the middle options - like the older 3 series and equivalent cars. Some of them are still a lot of fun to drive and a nicer place to be overall as in nice range of features and less chance of big bills.

Speaking as a totally unbiased Z4 owner, the fun option is a good one :p

In all seriousness give them a test drive. None of them throw huge bills, and from my experience if you're willing to get your hands dirty you can do most jobs on the Z4 on the driveway.

Worst that happened to mine was EPS failure, if you believe BMW it's a £3k job or something daft as they want to install a whole new column, whereas other companies repair it for £300.

Plus who doesn't love the sound of a 3 litre 6 pot engine! Admittedly the 350Z is a bit more raucous, but I personally wanted a soft top. The 350z coupe is lovely. The soft top looks trash imo

The TT makes the 350z feel like it's been built in a 3rd world country, the interiors of the z really let them down. The z4 is nice but nowhere near as practical as the TT... So I vote TT, (S) if you can stretch to it but quattro is a must even with non S.

If you don’t need the extra seats or doors always go for the fun option! You can get a lot for your £11k.

I’m a very biased ex S2000 owner and would recommend that everyone experience one once!

Take the 3 fun cars for test drives.

Yeah I think I'll have to sort out some when I'm off next week.

Kia Ceed, Mazda 3 or Leon? We're also starting to look at getting a "new" car (currently have W reg Yarris :)) and those 3 are top of our list for under £11k and under 3/4 years old. We had a new Ceed as hire car last year in Cornwall and really liked it but we haven't tested any cars yet. Going on holiday later this week so the proper search will start when we get back.

And there is lies the issue. Sure I could get a nearly new Kia Ceed and be comfortable and secure with the remaining 5 year warranty ... but there is the itch. :/

This.

Though in your position I'd be looking at the middle options - like the older 3 series and equivalent cars. Some of them are still a lot of fun to drive and a nicer place to be overall as in nice range of features and less chance of big bills.

Yeah, seem to be quite few an far between. I've found a couple of A4s with the better MMI, just very far from where I am. here and here.

I went from the Astra H (1.6 Manual) to the Astra K (1.4T Auto) and it's bloody glorious. Worth a test drive.

Mine was a H. I'm sure the K would be nicer and not as depressing inside, my experiences with Vauxhall services was always very poor though, so I'd like to stay away from them.

Speaking as a totally unbiased Z4 owner, the fun option is a good one :p

In all seriousness give them a test drive. None of them throw huge bills, and from my experience if you're willing to get your hands dirty you can do most jobs on the Z4 on the driveway.

Worst that happened to mine was EPS failure, if you believe BMW it's a £3k job or something daft as they want to install a whole new column, whereas other companies repair it for £300.

Plus who doesn't love the sound of a 3 litre 6 pot engine! Admittedly the 350Z is a bit more raucous, but I personally wanted a soft top. The 350z coupe is lovely. The soft top looks trash imo

I've always thought the Z4 to be the best looking so that automatically gets it a plus. Have to be a hard top for me though I think.

go in the middle

Seat Leon 2.0 TSI Cupra

Alternate middle ground - what about a "warm" model of the sensible hatches e.g. 180bhp Ecoboost focus, or even an ST:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803295044859 - Zetec S (£8.5k)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709199447870 - ST-2

ST-2 & ST-3 have been thought of. Just what I imagine a practical hoodlum would drive. :D

* checks wallet *

Sadly not.

The TT makes the 350z feel like it's been built in a 3rd world country, the interiors of the z really let them down. The z4 is nice but nowhere near as practical as the TT... So I vote TT, (S) if you can stretch to it but quattro is a must even with non S.

Hmm I've found a few. Here, here and here. What's the deal with the infotainment between the years?

If you don’t need the extra seats or doors always go for the fun option! You can get a lot for your £11k.

I’m a very biased ex S2000 owner and would recommend that everyone experience one once!

In theory I don't right now.

owned a z4 3.0 coupe for a over a year, had no issues with reliability. Very decent car :)

Good to know. :)

Back
Top Bottom