"Sensor" tumble dryers

Soldato
We had a sensor tumble dryer, but pretty old - maybe 10 years. It always required two goes before the stuff in it was actually dry.

It gave up the ghost a few weeks back, so was replaced with a fancy new condenser tumble dryer. This one also is supposed to sense whether the contents are dry (I'm sure they all do these days).

But it has exactly the same problem. Set to 'cupboard+' which is the dryest setting available - still the stuff in it is damp when you go to empty it, and you have to run another cycle.

Is this just the way of things for all tumble dryers? Or should I be questioning whether this is faulty?

Soldato
You should question why you're using a tumble dryer in summer :D

But yeah my heatpump isn't 'dry dry' but it's certainly not wet.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I did mean heat pump, not condenser. Not up with the tumble dryer lingo.

And - because it was piddling down most of the day and we wanted to wash our duvets.

It's a Hotpoint and seemed to be well reviewed.

It seems odd to have 4 different levels of dryness you can choose to aim for - and then the dryest one still leaves the clothes slightly damp.

Associate
I have been having a similar problem with my washer/dryer (Beko). I find if i get to the clothes as soon as the cycle has finished, grab them out when they are hot and very steamy, they need a few minutes to "air out" and are generally dry, however if i forget about them and go back 15+ minutes later they need a second cycle.

Soldato
Yeah our probably 6 year old Hotpoint dryer is exactly the same, set it on 'ready to wear' cycle and then every single time you need to put it on a blind 15min cycle afterwards for the stuff to be actually dry..

Soldato
Sorry, I did mean heat pump, not condenser. Not up with the tumble dryer lingo.

And - because it was piddling down most of the day and we wanted to wash our duvets.

It's a Hotpoint and seemed to be well reviewed.

It seems odd to have 4 different levels of dryness you can choose to aim for - and then the dryest one still leaves the clothes slightly damp.
Ah fair. I've made a deal with my wife she can use our Heat Pump during summer in the day because it is theoretically it's most efficient then :D

I have been having a similar problem with my washer/dryer (Beko). I find if i get to the clothes as soon as the cycle has finished, grab them out when they are hot and very steamy, they need a few minutes to "air out" and are generally dry, however if i forget about them and go back 15+ minutes later they need a second cycle.
^ I think this is the best explanation. You either get them out quickly once the cycle has finished and let them steam off, or you kinda let your clothes sit in quite a humid environment.

Soldato
FWIW, we’ve got a vented drier, cheap Candy one, bought 3 years ago. They’re not energy efficient on paper, but everything comes out ready to wear dry first time every time. Cycles take ~90 mins.

I suppose with condensers and heat pumps they recycle the warm air while trying to extract moisture. Whereas the vented is constantly getting fresh air in and pumping damp air out. Better at drying but crap from an energy POV because it’s constantly heating air.

I only got one because there was already a hole for the vent when we moved in. Tbh I will eventually reluctantly go to a heat pump because everything I’ve read says they are slow af and don’t fully dry your clothes. If you have to run it a second cycle are they really more efficient?

Last edited:
Soldato

Our previous condenser tumble dryer was a bit like this and I worked out why - it seemed to syphon the water/moisture back from the tank only for the clothes to reabsorb that moisture, condensing on the warmer clothes. Defeats it's purpose! Try an experiment yourself - next time your dryer finishes pull out the water tank and empty it, see if your clothes are any less dryer a while later.

Since changing to a heat pump dryer this doesn't occur, probably because it's clever and modern enough to close the valve/tubing between the drum and the water tank/drawer once the cycle has completed.

Associate
As if anyone with a tumble dryer bothers drying any other way once they get used to it ;)
Our vented tumble dryers have both been fine, one bosch one no name brand.

Last edited:
Associate
Apart from the 10 minute “steam off” in the laundry basket make sure you are not overloading the dryer, the former is probably the solution though (it’s been common to the last two washers/dryer machines I’ve had.

Associate
When we moved our old drier (maybe 14yrs old or more) came with us, didnt have an external place to vent so used those condensing boxes which are awful, when it died we went condensing/heatpump and we couldn't be happier, but yes the top "dry" auto setting leaves them damp, never though to see if the remaining moisture evaporated if I immediately took them out.but to be fair in lazy so will likely just whack it on for another 30mins.

Associate
You should question why you're using a tumble dryer in summer :D

But yeah my heatpump isn't 'dry dry' but it's certainly not wet.
I do for 10-20 minutes after stuff has been on the line, some stuff gets stiff and I do a half heat 20m run just to loosen it up.

Also, what summer? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've also seen recommendations that you need to take the clothes out and at least give them a brisk shake (due to how the tech works). Our AEG heat pump machine has three settings for sensor based drying machine, I have it on the middle setting and everything comes out completely dry.

Last edited:
Soldato
As others have pointed out, you are probably ‘over drying’ your clothing. The inside of the drier will naturally be very humid and it will make things feel wet compared to outside, in reality it’s just a bit of steam that will dissipate in a few mins.

If you pull it out when it’s finished and let it steam off for a few mins, it should be good to put away. Doing so will mean you’ll use a lot less energy and time.

Last edited:
Associate
Not going to help on this but we never put the dryer on the dryest setting.
Even when it comes out on a "normal" cycle, the clothes are pretty dry. Between taking them out and letting them air for 30 mins, they usually are 100% dry.

Soldato
We changed to a beko condensing tumble drier late last year. Much lower in energy usage than the condenser before it. It seems to do a great job of drying stuff (whilst making fridge type noises) but does stick on 4 minutes to go for ages at the end as that's the point where it seems to be working out if its dry on not. End results are good though.

Back
Top Bottom