Sentinel X400

Good stuff, hopefully the cleaner will get things going again for you :)
Thanks, no signs of it doing anything yet despite running those radiators all day and the pipes going to them are still cold on two and warm on one. In fact I'd say it is currently worse than what it was before..

Last edited:
My system was really bad a few years ago, no amount flushing fixed it, i was going to get a power flush done in the end. Then someone advised to use a small magnet on the pipes leading up to the poor performing rads. Found a T joint about 4m away from the rad that was jammed solid with sludge. i had to cut it out and and get to the jammed crap that way.

jrQ01z4.jpeg

Following as I am also in the same situation. Have 3 radiators on first floor where two stay cold with pipes to them also cold while the third only warms a little. Have put a cleaner (Fernox F3) in 2 days ago and closed all other radiators off with bypass wound down a little but no progress yet. Plumber suggested may need to look at the junction where the pipes branch off to these radiators as that may be potentially blocked and annoyingly the junction is most probably under the chipboard flooring.

Last edited:
My system was really bad a few years ago, no amount flushing fixed it, i was going to get a power flush done in the end. Then someone advised to use a small magnet on the pipes leading up to the poor performing rads. Found a T joint about 4m away from the rad that was jammed solid with sludge. i had to cut it out and and get to the jammed crap that way.

jrQ01z4.jpeg
Unfortunately I cannot gain access to the pipes as they are underfloor and the ground floor, where the cold radiators are, are concrete..

Last edited:
Do bare in mind that there are also much more serious chemicals on the market that eat up that sludge.
X800 fast acting and usually used with a power flush.
And my favorite which is DS40, eats through anything :D Wonderful at cleaning systems, heat exchangers etc... But is more than happy at finding any weak points in the system.

Do bare in mind that there are also much more serious chemicals on the market that eat up that sludge.
X800 fast acting and usually used with a power flush.
And my favorite which is DS40, eats through anything :D Wonderful at cleaning systems, heat exchangers etc... But is more than happy at finding any weak points in the system.
My next step will be to try one of those...

@FlyingFish an update that is interesting, after running the CH with just those radiators that stay cold to no effect, the pipes are still cold, I turned on one radiator that does get hot and then the pipes to the cold radiators do then start to warm up. Not by much but they're definitely not stone cold as they were before.
So some water must be getting around those feed pipes and I'll keep it running with that one other radiator on so it pushes the cleaning agent into them.

Just an update, yesterday I drained the system, replaced the bypass valve, took the three misbehaving radiators off the wall and flushed them through. Took off each of their radiator valves and whilst they were off I 'rodded' down the pipes with some study wire plus I reversed flushed them. Once that was done I fitted new valves to each of them.
After reassembling everything and filling up the system I had no heat whatsoever going to any radiators, even after bleeding them several times, the pump was pulsing then the light on it turned to red. After using the purge mode on the pump several times the air gradually disapated and all the radiators became hot, even the ones that were stone cold before.
So rather a successful day, despite some black stains on a carpet, whoops sorry, I'd say and now the lounge has two working radiators instead of one and get quite 'toasty'. Plus it is now probably saving us a bit on heating oil.

Thanks to @FlyingFish with your help as I probably would have struggled without it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom