Separate private networks one one powerline network?

Associate
If a household of lodgers, each lodger with his own router, is using the same powerlines on which the landlord has set up a powerline network, do those routers automatically become part of the 'host' powerline network as client networks?

I ask because I have my own router and do not want to share data, devices or files , but am concerned that my private network can be accessed by the landlord, in a kind of host/client configuration. I suspect that my computer is being accessed, due to various odd occurrences.

Is this possible? If so, how can I acquire security and ensure that my computer cannot be accessed by anyone but me?

If a household of lodgers, each lodger with his own router, is using the same powerlines on which the landlord has set up a powerline network, do those routers automatically become part of the 'host' powerline network as client networks?

I ask because I have my own router and do not want to share data, devices or files , but am concerned that my private network can be accessed by the landlord, in a kind of host/client configuration. I suspect that my computer is being accessed, due to various odd occurrences.

Is this possible? If so, how can I acquire security and ensure that my computer cannot be accessed by anyone but me?

Hello! Introductions, I'm Rachel and I'm an Engineer for a well known company. I'm specifically a cyber security engineer and I'm telling you this because the answer is a complicated one!

A powerline is essentially using the copper cables already built into your home as the medium to transport your network connection. They do this by jacking up the signal to a really high frequency and then blasting it over everything connected to that grid. A paired powerline will recieve this and then treat it as designed (off to the modem or vice versa).
Could I plug in another powerline on the same grid as you and sniff all those delicious packets? Yes! Because the pairing is a relatively simple exchange and that data is being blasted to the entire grid remember, you can spoof the receiving powerline. Now I'm also part of your network, woo! It's kind of like having a garden and telling everyone it's your space, but there is no fence to really stop them.

There are multiple points in the chain that someone could tamper with your data or device. I could suggest you encrypt your data using something like openVPN, however I personally would rather use a mobile dongle with my own sim.

But I'm a security freak :) have a lovely day!

Thanks for your clear and very informative post, Rachel! It is as I suspected.

What sort of dongle might you suggest for my laptop? Would it encrypt signals going in and out?

Also, since the landlord's landline phone works off the powerline network, can I assume that my own landline is safe, or do I need to protect that too?

Is there any way I can prove that my system is being 'hacked', such as logging that will even pick up powerline network users?

Thanks so much. I hope I'm not leaning too heavily on you.!

Best wishes.

Thanks for your clear and very informative post, Rachel! It is as I suspected.

What sort of dongle might you suggest for my laptop? Would it encrypt signals going in and out?

Also, since the landlord's landline phone works off the powerline network, can I assume that my own landline is safe, or do I need to protect that too?

Is there any way I can prove that my system is being 'hacked', such as logging that will even pick up powerline network users?

Thanks so much. I hope I'm not leaning too heavily on you.!

Best wishes.

Fortunately there is a plethora of solutions available ranging in cost to fit almost any need you can think of. I think searching for what fits your configuration and budget is important, as the weakest link in a security chain tends to be the human element!
The worst that'll happen is that you know more about an increasingly relevant subject, it's quite fun I promise :)

Invest in a decent no logs VPN service and configure it together with OpenVPN, that will sufficiently encrypt your traffic. If you still feel uncomfortable only then look into hardware solutions. It's a very deep war chest.

Just remember, technical expertise in cyber security is actually exceptionally limited. The people who do the damage are by and large un or under educated in the field. Students are probably the highest risk. Media/Hollywood hype can fuel anxiety so relax and just follow cyber security best practices, if it feels risky then stop and reevaluate.

Goodnight :)

Use wireless as you means to access the web and your private net stuff. When you are in your room where the router is you can run hard line. When you are in communal area you can run off a WiFi. You can get a WiFi Access Point in your room for added security to provide acres through out the house for yourself only.

Back
Top Bottom