Server 2012 Licensing & Virtual Machines

Associate
Need a little help with licensing if someone can help me!

I've bought a HP Server (Dual CPU) and a Windows Server 2012 R2 license, I intend to:

- Install Server 2012 R2 on the physical box, only to be used for managing;
- A virtual machine which will be used for RDS. (Up to 10 users, 5 concurrent)

My Server 2012 R2 license allows me to run up to 2 virtual machines on the physical install. Does this mean that my virtual machine already has a 2012 license and I just need to buy some RDS cals?

Any help would be appreciated!

Rob

Caporegime
Technically you will need as many RDS CALs as you have users (unless you do device CALs) that need to access the service, there is no concept of concurrent usage. This is in addition to Server CALs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies

If the virtual server is only used for RDS do I still need user or device cals?

If so, and I 10 different users connecting, only 5 at any one time, would that equate to:

10 User cals and 10 RDS Cals

or

5 Device cals and 10 RDS cals?

Soldato
If you put a limit on the number of connections then you can buy that number of RDS cals.

If the users are using the server in any way (eg. fileserver) even if not specifically using it as an RDS then you will need a full qty of server CALs.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies

If the virtual server is only used for RDS do I still need user or device cals?

If so, and I 10 different users connecting, only 5 at any one time, would that equate to:

10 User cals and 10 RDS Cals

or

5 Device cals and 10 RDS cals?

MS licensing can be a minefield, but given your users will be authenticating against the Windows Server VM, they need a User or Device CAL, plus the RDS CAL

If the 10 users share 5 PCs (ie two sets of shift workers), then you could have 5 Device Windows CALs + 5 Device RDS CALs. If not, I would be buying 10 Windows User CALs + 10 User RDS CALs

Back
Top Bottom