Server 2019 ADDS

Associate
Hi guys,

got a couple of computers that need replacing. Currently the computers require username/password to login to a domain on startup. There is a desktop server running Server 2019 in the office.

I presume it's a case of logging in as the local admin on the new units then connecting to the domain (Switching over from the Workgroup)?

Would I then need to setup the network shares again or will that be done already through the user settings on the active directory?

Associate
I presume it's a case of logging in as the local admin on the new units then connecting to the domain (Switching over from the Workgroup)?
On a base level yeah that is all thats required, you just need to ensure the account joining the computer to the domain has the correct level of access at the domain level

Would I then need to setup the network shares again or will that be done already through the user settings on the active directory?
The homedrive and any user profiles will automatically connect/sync if the user is setup with them in active directory, otherwise any other share would likely be handled by Group policy or manually assigned.

I hope that helps :)

Associate
OP
On a base level yeah that is all thats required, you just need to ensure the account joining the computer to the domain has the correct level of access at the domain level

The homedrive and any user profiles will automatically connect/sync if the user is setup with them in active directory, otherwise any other share would likely be handled by Group policy or manually assigned.

I hope that helps :)

Thank you.

Will start up the current computers to see exactly how they are setup. Got the reception ones to do first before the doctors computers.

It's actually for a small medical center. Found out yesterday it's Server 2019 running on hyper-v which hosts the medical records. There's 2 virtual guests. One is for the AD and the other is the medical software.

Soldato
What state are the new computers in? If out of the box they won't have a local admin account.
They will need to be at least Windows Pro to give you the option to create a local account at OOBE.
If they are Windows Home, which seems likely, you will need to purchase licences and upgrade.

At OOBE select setup for work or school.
You'll be prompted to sign-in with a Microsoft account, click "sign-in options" below, where you'll be give the option to "Domain join instead". Selecting this will take you through steps to create a local account, which will automatically be added to the local administrators group. Make sure you delete or rename this once you are domain joined.

When joining the computer to the domain, it will be placed in the default "Computers" OU. You'll need access to AD to move this the the appropriate OU to pickup computer group policies. Without this the computer will miss logon scripts which could contain printer connections, UI settings, application deployments, security and update policies.

The users drive mapping won't be affected as they will be targeting user objects in AD.

Back
Top Bottom