Server video card

Associate
I am recomissioning my old gaming PC as a server.

Can anyone suggest a cheap, minimal, silent video card?

Needs to be PCIe with an HDMI output.

It will spend 99% of it's time disconnected and 1% or less connected and running BIOS or a Linux text console only.

I found a whole load of NVidia Quadro 300s on ebay for like £4 each, do these sound like a good idea?

Soldato
Anything will do but preferably something modern that clocks down to single digit watts when not in use. The NVS300 you mention is sub 18w in operation so probably a good cheap shout.

Edit: be careful of the video out that the card has, some of them will be low profile cards with a funky dual VGA out breakout cable

Associate
OP
Edit: be careful of the video out that the card has, some of them will be low profile cards with a funky dual VGA out breakout cable

Good catch thanks. I thought it looked like an odd DVI port. Seems I would need an adapter.

An NVS 300 + adapter is about £15... or I can buy a brand new GT 710 for £26 from OCUK

Soldato
I think the NVS 300's are getting on for being 10 years old now? I would grab a cheap passively cooled 710

If you want to free a x16 slot for something more "servery" like a fast NIC or storage controller then get a Zotac GT 710 (ZT-71304-20L) - as these run in a PCIEx1 slot (quite new and not as cheap - but very useful if you want to free up lanes/slots)

Associate
OP
I think the NVS 300's are getting on for being 10 years old now? I would grab a cheap passively cooled 710

If you want to free a x16 slot for something more "servery" like a fast NIC or storage controller then get a Zotac GT 710 (ZT-71304-20L) - as these run in a PCIEx1 slot (quite new and not as cheap - but very useful if you want to free up lanes/slots)

Thanks. A single gigabit network is grand for my purposes. I think I'll grab a fanless 710 for £26 and move on.

Just wondering how much of the £100 my GTX970 is worth I can get my brother to actually pay for it.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I've got a quadro NVS 310 in my server. Does a great job and uses very little power. Significant improvement on the quadro FX 3500 I had before.

Back
Top Bottom