Setting up a VPN

Associate
Hey all just After some advice please on setting up a VPN. In the next few days i will be getting a different internet provider and of course they will be offering a router with the install which i will change and of course with me been a new customer they will be keen to keep track of my internet activity. I do bit of torrents on the pc and use IPTV on the PC and also use IPTV on the TV downstairs and use Kodi on an android box but mainly use that for gaming and the App store and have a pi3 for rasplex. The connection will be 100meg download and 5meg upload there is only me and the Mrs as my 2 Daughters have just fled the nest. So if the VPN takes bit of the bandwith won't be an issue. So 3 questions really

1. What VPN to use
2. What routers are the best for a VPN
3. And how would you set it up i use Powerline for internet access for TV downstairs

Soldato
I'd probably looks at running the VPN from the Pi3 and just sharing its internet connection with the rest of the systems in the house.

The router just runs as normal then and all traffic going through it and the ISP is encrypted.

If you're anything like most Pi users it's always plugged in and left running. You would just need to make sure if the VPN was dropped, all internet activity stopped until the connection was re-established.

Soldato
Yup, I use OpenVPN on my Pi3 to give me access to my internal network outside my house. I also use that with Pi Hole so all connected devices benefit from the ad-blocker. If you don't have a static IP then you'll need to also configure a DDNS service on the Pi (free).

Back
Top Bottom