Setting up and self hosting a domain

Soldato
Hi guys,

So I have recently bought a domain for a new business venture. It is a legal requirement that I have a website and policies etc available online and would like something that I can just set up, load with info (maybe a contact us form) and forget about. Only update perhaps once a year or so.

I do not need any email support as I have chosen to go with Google with that and thats already up and running.

Now I am fairly computer literate and can follow instructions, so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of hosting my own domain if I have a dedicated server at the business premises? In the long run will this be cheaper?

If I choose to go down that route, what do I need to think about and how do I go about it? I would ideally like to use some sort of a free website builder as not overly interested in what it looks like as long as its professional.

I have seen various companies offering services from as little as a few quid a month, is it worth going through those and if so what do I look for? (Anyone recommend personal experience?

Apologies for the long explanation -
TL : DR: Have a domain which needs basic info and a few files, whats the cheapest and easiest way to get it up and running?

Thanks

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is this homework for an IT course or something?

Buy Domain and hosting, Make site, > FTP Files to the provider > done.

So I have recently bought a domain for a new business venture. It is a legal requirement that I have a website and policies etc available online and would like something that I can just set up, load with info (maybe a contact us form) and forget about. Only update perhaps once a year or so.

Good news.

I do not need any email support as I have chosen to go with Google with that and thats already up and running.

Doesn't look professional if you have already purchased a domain. It's already set up as long as you create an email address in your domain control panel.

Now I am fairly computer literate and can follow instructions, so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of hosting my own domain if I have a dedicated server at the business premises? In the long run will this be cheaper?

There's one main did-advantage of hosting it on your own premises and that if it goes down or breaks it's your problem not the hosting provider. It's cheaper just to get it hosted somewhere.

If I choose to go down that route, what do I need to think about and how do I go about it? I would ideally like to use some sort of a free website builder as not overly interested in what it looks like as long as its professional.

Why didn't you ask here first before buying a domain e.t.c people could have pointed you exactly in the right direction. Anyway I don't know any free website builder tools that look as professional as someone could do it for if they are decent. There are plenty free templates out there. Why didn't you just get someone to do it for you? You could have asked on here and someone might have helped you out a little. It's probably going to be more of a headache for you in the long run if you are only just starting out how to build a site e.t.c and maintain the servers or what not.

I have seen various companies offering services from as little as a few quid a month, is it worth going through those and if so what do I look for? (Anyone recommend personal experience?

TSOHOST since the support is one of the best I know of ever.

[/QUOTE]

:) You are welcome.

Last edited:
Soldato
By choosing to go with Google, can I assume you mean Google Apps for Work, or whatever it's renamed to nowadays. If so, you can use your purchased domain for email there.

I would never really consider running my own online server these days, and that's as a professional in the industry. TSO do a £15/yr hosting package. One-click wordpress and a free theme would get you up and running very quickly. You really can't go wrong with that.

Soldato
OP
Is this homework for an IT course or something?
Lol, I wish, actually setting a business up here!

Doesn't look professional if you have already purchased a domain. It's already set up as long as you create an email address in your domain control panel.
Sorry should have been clear, Google is managing the domain webspace, so the email address is still [email protected] rather than gmail :D

There's one main did-advantage of hosting it on your own premises and that if it goes down or breaks it's your problem not the hosting provider. It's cheaper just to get it hosted somewhere.
Yeah thats what I needed advice on, think its easier just paying a few quid a month to get another company to do it for me.

Why didn't you ask here first before buying a domain e.t.c people could have pointed you exactly in the right direction. Anyway I don't know any free website builder tools that look as professional as someone could do it for if they are decent. There are plenty free templates out there. Why didn't you just get someone to do it for you? You could have asked on here and someone might have helped you out a little. It's probably going to be more of a headache for you in the long run if you are only just starting out how to build a site e.t.c and maintain the servers or what not.
I honestly thought it would be fairly straightforward! The domain is actually perfect and I am happy with it (from godaddy it cost £8 for 2 years)
Just need a few pointers on the website side of things.

TSOHOST since the support is one of the best I know of ever.
This is what I needed! A recommened host! Just checked them out and they look ace! Thanks a lot
:) You are welcome.

By choosing to go with Google, can I assume you mean Google Apps for Work, or whatever it's renamed to nowadays. If so, you can use your purchased domain for email there.
That is exactly what I have done, although it costs about £3.50 a user its not too bad as there will only be around 3 of us to begin with (at least for the first year)
I would never really consider running my own online server these days, and that's as a professional in the industry. TSO do a £15/yr hosting package. One-click wordpress and a free theme would get you up and running very quickly. You really can't go wrong with that.
Yeah having read up on it I have to agree, the TSO starter package seems to be pretty awesome to be honest! Will give it a crack and see how I get on.

Thanks all for your input, very valuable and sincerely grateful! :D

Soldato
OP
After reading the replies there what type of site will it be?

Apologies the way it was worded sounded like a homework question.

Sorry about that, I am a teacher so go figure!

Its a site for a care home I am in the process of setting up. Need to have documents online as its a legal requirement but the website will be purely for information and documents available to view/download.

Its nothing special, I was just looking for the cheapest most effective way to get it up.

Currently looking through wordpress templates but think I may just get someone to create the basic site and plug in the info.

Soldato
if you are going through a host such as TSOHost you'll be able to set your email up through them. Install Thunderbird for your email (it's free) and save yourself £126 a month instead of running it via google.

By the looks of the TSO packages, the basic for cloud and cpanel both come with 10 mailboxes.

Wordpress sites are incredible simple to setup using a basic template, it also allows you to have a responsive site. However, if all you want is a simple website it may be a lot easier just to have a basic one built from scratch. It would be very simple to do.

Soldato
OP
if you are going through a host such as TSOHost you'll be able to set your email up through them. Install Thunderbird for your email (it's free) and save yourself £126 a month instead of running it via google.

By the looks of the TSO packages, the basic for cloud and cpanel both come with 10 mailboxes.

Wordpress sites are incredible simple to setup using a basic template, it also allows you to have a responsive site. However, if all you want is a simple website it may be a lot easier just to have a basic one built from scratch. It would be very simple to do.

I think getting one made will be the way to go, had a play around with the WordPress plug in and I can't figure out how to get more templates? (I only spent around 10 mins with it mind!) will take a look and see how I get on.

Going via Google as the support for using docs and drive for collaboration and file storage is very appealing as that will be used.

Permabanned
Sorry about that, I am a teacher so go figure!

Its a site for a care home I am in the process of setting up. Need to have documents online as its a legal requirement but the website will be purely for information and documents available to view/download.

Its nothing special, I was just looking for the cheapest most effective way to get it up.

Currently looking through wordpress templates but think I may just get someone to create the basic site and plug in the info.

In that case I can gaurentee you the starter package will be the cheapest. To be fair one of the best packages around.

If you get the cloud hosting it will be perfect for your needs and extremely easy to set up.

Soldato

Thanks

it will cost more in actual money (having a PC on 24/7), and your time ...

it would be utter madness to even attempt this unless you are

1) a techno nerd who just wants to tinker for fun, and don't care about it costing more / down time / your time
2) you are a large company with an IT department

Soldato
OP
it will cost more in actual money (having a PC on 24/7), and your time ...

it would be utter madness to even attempt this unless you are

1) a techno nerd who just wants to tinker for fun, and don't care about it costing more / down time / your time
2) you are a large company with an IT department

Lol, yes to the first one I am a bit of a Geek but no 5o extra money time and headache. (also no to the second one)

Gone with TSO as recommended here and as well as being cheap their dashboard has enough to satisfy my inner Geek for now. Just need to get the actual site made!

Soldato
I think getting one made will be the way to go, had a play around with the WordPress plug in and I can't figure out how to get more templates? (I only spent around 10 mins with it mind!) will take a look and see how I get on.

Going via Google as the support for using docs and drive for collaboration and file storage is very appealing as that will be used.

one drive and dropbox have free options for online storage and sharing, onedrive can use online word etc as well.

Soldato
would like something that I can just set up, load with info (maybe a contact us form) and forget about. Only update perhaps once a year or so.
One-click wordpress and a free theme would get you up and running very quickly. You really can't go wrong with that.
Wordpress sites are incredible simple to setup using a basic template, it also allows you to have a responsive site.
Just picking up on the idea that wordpress is something you can setup and forget about (as op said about not updating for a year)

Wordpress is ok, but like anything else it needs to be maintained with updates etc.
It's probably the single most attacked cms on the internet at the moment & it's not surprising looking at some of the plugins.
(lots of articles regarding this eg: 16,000 WordPress Sites Have Been Hacked)

I do agree it is a lot easier & less hassle than setting up a VPS, all probably depends on the type of site & data.

You could code a HTML site & leave it without having to update anything for year(s).
Need to have documents online as its a legal requirement but the website will be purely for information and documents available to view/download.
From the opening post & some of the replies it seems like you have no experience with maintaining servers or programming :confused:

It all depends on how downtime effects your business, how secure you want your documents to be, do you need TLS, how much you rely on google SEO & how many visitors will you be getting.

I have seen many people who see themselves as techies setup a wordpress site & get hacked or get their servers rooted (mostly from plugins they had installed)
Setting up wordpress on shared hosting is pretty easy, it's maintaining & securing it that is difficult.

Also shared/'cloud' cpanel hosting isn't the best thing for business.
If you want to setup your own server I would say get a VPS but as others have said you will need to put in a lot of time.
You will need to know linux, understand the services (eg: dovecot, postfix, nginx/apache, bind, iptables, antispam) & spend time maintaining it.

It seems there is a generation of howto followers who setup servers without understanding anything they are implementing, so many AWS instances with mis-configuration issues open to attacks.

Associate
I would echo what mortals said above; there is no such thing as "set and forget" when it comes to an internet-facing service (at least, if you value your business).

If you choose VPS and WordPress you need to be keeping on top of software updates and other management tasks. You could go for a static site with some web hosting package but then you have the initial development cost coupled with difficulty of making changes later on.

If I were in your situation I would probably go for a "site builder"-type package at first like squarespace or the like. Sure, it's a little more expensive in the long run but it allows you to get set up quickly, looks reasonably professional and frees you from hosting/security/maintenance hassles.

Later on down the line you can re-evaluate your decision depending on if it's still meeting the needs of your business.

Soldato
Wordpress and the majority of plugins auto-update now, it's really a case of popping on to the site once a month and checking that it is still looking as it should.

Soldato
Whatever you do, do NOT set up your own web server on your own premises unless you want to sink a lot of time into looking after it, maintaining it and systems administration etc. Almost no-one does this, even most large companies usually use a web hosting provider, although of course they usually buy or rent a dedicated server and have the web hosting company manage it.

If you choose a reliable web hosting provider you should have 99% uptime or better. It's unlikely you can beat this with your own self-hosted server. Also, very importantly, a good web hosting provider will install regular security patches and fix any hardware issues. You can do this with self-hosting too of course, but it will take up your time and need you to learn how to do it. Better to just leave it to the professionals.

The cheapest web hosting packages are hosted on a shared server. That is, you are renting space on a server that other customers are renting space on. This usually is not a problem for the vast majority of web sites. But if you are hosting sensitive documents or are worried about security, get yourself a dedicated server hosted by a web hosting company. These don't have to be expensive. usually you just rent these on a yearly basis, rather than buy outright.

Regarding the actual design of your site, the site builder services can get a basic functional site up pretty easily, but it'll look pretty generic. Another option is Wordpress and buy a template to handle the layout (there's thousands of sites selling these). Alternatively hire a web designer and take all the stress out of it. This doesn't have to be expensive for a relatively straightforward starter site.

It should be possible to get up and running fairly cheaply, but don't cheap out too much. A website is a projection of your business, so think of the image you're hoping to create.

One final thing - make sure your website is mobile friendly. I know that seems obvious in this day and age, but you'd be surprised how many websites still aren't.

Soldato
Just buy some hosting via TSOhost and set up the email address through the control panel. Then you have the option to set up a wordpress site yourself or use am external developer to do it but you'll be in control of the hosting.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the help guys. Have gone down the TSO route and playing about with the different options available. Tried WordPress to create a basic site but the templates are a bit strange in that you can't edit some pages and I don't like the fact it's blog like. After 10 minutes of tinkering I'm trying out concrete which is more up my street.

Anyone have any experience with it? I may have a few questions further down the line.

Soldato
OP
From the opening post & some of the replies it seems like you have no experience with maintaining servers or programming :confused:

It all depends on how downtime effects your business, how secure you want your documents to be, do you need TLS, how much you rely on google SEO & how many visitors will you be getting.

I have seen many people who see themselves as techies setup a wordpress site & get hacked or get their servers rooted (mostly from plugins they had installed)
Setting up wordpress on shared hosting is pretty easy, it's maintaining & securing it that is difficult.

Also shared/'cloud' cpanel hosting isn't the best thing for business.

If you want to setup your own server I would say get a VPS but as others have said you will need to put in a lot of time.
You will need to know linux, understand the services (eg: dovecot, postfix, nginx/apache, bind, iptables, antispam) & spend time maintaining it.

It seems there is a generation of howto followers who setup servers without understanding anything they are implementing, so many AWS instances with mis-configuration issues open to attacks.

I don't have the time nor the resources now to go into my own visa so chose to go with TSO. I do have basic programming knowledge but again lack of time I can spend on it means I probably won't be coding it from scratch.

Regarding visitors etc, the site is literally a tick box for our business venture so not overly interested in SEO and things of that nature. As long as it works and can be found that's the main thing.

Playing with 2 options at the moment, use something like the concrete plug in with TSO and create my own site or pay someone to do it for me.

Its a toss up between my own time (or my sisters who is good at this designing mumbo jumbo) or someone else's who's a pro at it.

As the site does not need to be live until Jan I have time to make a decision but need to make up my mind soon!

Back
Top Bottom