Settings for tonight's super moon.

Soldato
I'm late to the party here, but tripod is a necessity to get your ISO down to 100. I went for spot-metering and just used aperture priority, but triggered from my phone so I wasn't shaking the camera. Don't think it turned out too bad:

Supermoon

EDIT: Gear is Nikon D7200 with Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.

Last edited:
Associate
Aim for foreground subject to establish scale to establish it as super moon else it's just another shot of the moon done a million times before.

Partial metering on your camera at 420mm will still meter sky as well so go manual. Start at around 1/100 f/11 ISO100 you won't be far off.

Manual focus with lens set to somewhere close to infinity mark on lens scale.

And

And

Associate
Cloudy for me last night and I was working at the optimal time to get a shot (ie when the moon was on the horizon). Hey ho.

Here's one from September last year's supermoon taken at sunrise, with a kestrel for company.

Kestrel by Andy Davis, on Flickr

Caporegime
1/100th imo isn't fast enough for the Moon - which is moving quickly.

Depends on effective focal length but I agree.
Spot metering works perfectly for the moon.

f/8 to get your lens optimally sharp ( if you have a faster prime then f/4.0 or so works).
Decent tripod, mirro-lock-up, remote/timer, delayed shutter.

Soldato
I'm a beginner but like to run before I can walk. I've not been able to get remotely close to the detail of any of the above efforts. But I had my first attempt last night since there was a clear sky and full moon over my garden. I suppose it's 'ok'. I'm going to practise some more at the end of the week on a waning moon and hopefully no cloud cover. I've been told I can get better detail on waxing and waning rather than full moon.

Moon8.png

Soldato
Thanks EGuitarStar. I like your clouds over moon shot, very atmospheric.

I tried another moon shot last night, a half moon. I think it came out better than my first full moon attempt.

My-half-moon.jpg

Back
Top Bottom