1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFF and heat

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by blueacid, Nov 7, 2019.

1. blueacid

Hitman

Hi everyone,

Since my first PC build back in the early 2000s, I've built full ATX towers. Only, I've never made use of the full space; I've typically had one or two system drives and one graphics card.
    I'm looking at building a new computer and am wondering about building a Mini-ITX build for ease of moving it between my office and the living room, for normal gaming or VR.

Is there much of a concern with heat? Especially packing a big-ish GPU into one of these smaller cases?

If so, would I be better off going for Micro-ATX? Or is full-fat ATX the only real sane choice?

Thanks!
    Blueacid

2. satchef1

Mobster

GPU temps aren't, generally, a problem. The GPU is often located next to a perforated side panel, and therefore has direct access to cool air.

The CPU can be more tricky, particularly in "sandwich" style cases. The Dancase A4, for example, has very limited CPU cooler compatibility. But that's a problem specific to certain cases. The Loque Ghost S1 has a similar layout to the Dancase, but can be expanded to fit a 240mm AIO (pretty much fixing the CPU temps issue), while the Ncase M1 (which is a bit bigger) doesn't use a sandwich layout, and can therefore fit a half decent air cooler (Noctua D9L) or 240mm AIO out of the box.

ITX is as difficult and expensive as you want to make it. Check out Optimum Tech on YouTube for some really good ITX videos.

3. blueacid

Hitman

Thanks for your advice! Optimum Tech was a really helpful recommendation, thank you!