SFF Build advice

Associate
I'm looking to build a small pc to put under the TV for the misses xmas gift. Mostly used for downloading, music, World of Warcraft so it doesn't need to be amazing.

I've been looking at the following parts and think they'd be decent enough - what y'all think?

AMD Kaveri 7850K 12 Compute Core APU w/ Radeon R7 Graphics £131.99

Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI AMD A88X (Socket FM2+) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard £77.99

Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX324C11T3K2/8) £71.99

Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE120BW) £60.98

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £39.95

Silverstone Strider SST-ST45SF SFX Series - 450 Watt Power Supply £61.99

Silverstone Milo ML05B HTPC Case - Black £33.95

My only real preferences are case has to be able to sit under the TV etc in stand and have front facing USB 3 and not sure if I should be going for a 60GB or 120GB SSD for windows 7

Also anyone that code used for shopping baskets? be handy for next time :) ta.

Soldato
I'd personally go for a 240GB or 256GB SSD - there's some Kingston and Crucial ones on OcUK that are only £20 more than the Samsung Evo you listed, and possibly drop the mechanical storage completely.

I have the Gold modular version of that SFX power supply and it can get a bit noisy when running at high load. Also not sure you'd need a 450W for that Kaveri APU. There is a Be Quiet 300W SFX PSU that should do the trick, but OcUK don't stock it.

Soldato
Associate
OP
YeaH I was looking for a lower psu but couldn't find one! Was considering googling that part.

For what it's going to do I don't see the need for 250gb ssd.. Tbh would games like wow benefit from faster loading on an ssd as surely it's limited by the server as well?

Soldato
For what it's going to do I don't see the need for 250gb ssd.. Tbh would games like wow benefit from faster loading on an ssd as surely it's limited by the server as well?

Everything is better on an SSD. Overall system loading and response times go through the roof when you have fast access. Games of course benefit too when loading up the levels.

I built a WoW box for my housemate many years ago and she always had a few issues loading in textures and objects when her draw distance was set up very high. I moved her to a SSD recently and we've seen much improvement - nothing just "pops up" out of the blue, or partially textured any more.

So yeah, I always suggest for SSDs when you can, and given you can double your capacity for an extra £20 I'd say it was a no-brainer :p

Associate
OP
Everything is better on an SSD. Overall system loading and response times go through the roof when you have fast access. Games of course benefit too when loading up the levels.

I built a WoW box for my housemate many years ago and she always had a few issues loading in textures and objects when her draw distance was set up very high. I moved her to a SSD recently and we've seen much improvement - nothing just "pops up" out of the blue, or partially textured any more.

So yeah, I always suggest for SSDs when you can, and given you can double your capacity for an extra £20 I'd say it was a no-brainer :p

yeah I didn't notice it was £20 more... read it on my pone and didn't notice that bit. yeah I'd prob upgrade to that tbh for an extra £20

Back
Top Bottom