SFF CPU cooler question...

Associate
Hey guys, so my AIO died and I needed a quick replacement. Grabbed a Noctua NH-L12S but in order for it to clear the ram I need to mount the fan directly below the PSU...

jqgvV27m.jpg

Obviously not ideal but is this going to have a big impact on temps and would it be worth me going for the smaller 92mm version where the fan sits below the heatsink? Trying to keep costs down atm.

Associate
Is it definitely not possible to mount the fan below the heatsink? I have the same L12s cooler and have Corsair LPX RAM, I can get the 120mm slim fan below the heatsink (it's TIGHT!) and it fits and works great.

I have also used the smaller 92mm fan as well (NF-B9? or the A9) and that's been fine as well - it didn't make a huge difference in temps but noise was definitely louder.

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately not, doesn't clear the ram in any configuration if its below.
I'd give the smaller 92mm fan a go and put it below the heatsink, I think the NF-A9 is the newer version of that fan from Noctua.

I used that to cool an i7 8700k in an L12s in really small SFF case (Ghost S1) and it worked nicely.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, as I'm trying to do it on a budget I may return it for the Noctua NH-L9i - I guess I'm wondering if the current solution with it mounted directly below the PSU would still provide better cooling than a smaller CPU cooler?

Associate
OP
Last one pump failed and thought I'd go back to air - also wasn't sure there were any decent ones around the £60 mark.

Back
Top Bottom