SFF PC - Budget £1500

Soldato
Hello chaps.

I hope you can help me please. I promised my lad that if he did well in his GCSE's i would buy him a new pc, and the little bugger did well :o :D.

Budget as already listed is £1500, I could possibly stretch a touch more but would like to keep it within that if possible.

I do not need the following

Keyboard.
Mouse.
Monitor.

I do need it to be a Small Form Factor pc, this is mainly due to him transporting it back and forward from his mums house to my house, it will make things a lot easier tbh. If this makes things tricky spec wise, im sure a normal tower is dooable.

He plays all sorts of games atm, so something that will run the latest games well now and further down the line would be great. With potential of upgrading down the line as an added bonus.

2 things to mention, he currently uses a 1440p monitor at home, and a 4k TV here. So something good enough for that is ideal.

My preference to add is the following :

Case with good airflow.

CPU that can overclock.

2 SSD's, 1 for the OS, 1 for games (256gb & 2TB)

32Gb Ram (DDR4 or DDR5)

Upgradable later on.

I / we have no preference for Intel / AMD / Nvidia etc. Looking for absolute bang for buck given the budget.

Happy to build it myself, but honestly I dont really enjoy it. So if OcUK can do it, added bonus haha.

Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Intel/DDR5 option:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,520.82 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

CPU that can overclock.

CPU and motherboard don't support overclocking.

Upgradable later on.

Most likely the 14900K will be highest upgrade available for this socket.

For CPU upgrades I think it would be best to go AM5.

GPU upgrade: I'd get a higher wattage PSU, maybe 850, which should account for e.g. a 7900 XT or 4080 type of card in the future. ATX 3.0/PCIE5 advisable if likely to go nvidia. Case is restricted to 355mm GPU length.

2 things to mention, he currently uses a 1440p monitor at home, and a 4k TV here. So something good enough for that is ideal.:)

4070 can do 1440p, but 4K is pushing it in the latest games without upscaling.

I chose a compact 4070 for the case and because the weight and risk of damage when carrying would hopefully be lower compared to a large 3 fan card. I also chose a glass-less case for the same reason.

Micro-ATX alternative with overclockable CPU/motherboard:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,530.82 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
You can probably get an AM5/DDR5 system for very close to your budget if you're prepared to accept an mATX sized system - it would be overclockable easily with the right cooler, and a lot more upgradeable long term. I'd do that, or up the budget to get it in ITX format. I'd be tempted to get a 240 AIO for the CPU for just a small increase in budget as it will handle being transported a lot better than a heavy air cooler.

Total: £1,619.86 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you so much for your suggestions, really helps a lot ot get some ideas.

Would it change the spec much if we went for a normal case and not SFF ?

Im so confused to be honest, just want to get the best bang for buck.

Associate
I’ve built quite a few sff pcs and the case recommendations are a bit poor especially for your scenario.

I’ll look at getting a basket later but to set your expectations straight your going to be paying a premium for an sff case and build especially at ocuk as they don’t carry the SFF staples (such as sf750).

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you so much for your suggestions, really helps a lot ot get some ideas.

I’d say if you don’t want to faff with second hand stuff I’d go with a matx build as there are a few ~30 litre cases on ocuk which will allow for atx psu and a matx am5 board (best bet for upgrading).

Because most sub 20 litre itx cases require a sff psu and an itx motherboard you’re paying about a £200 premium alone for those bits.

P s I’ve given up on a basket sorry it’s quite tricky on mobile.

Man of Honour

Ignoring SFF entirely then if it was me, I'd dump most of the money into the graphics card (if they will alternate between 1440p and 4K).

I wouldn't bother with overclocking anymore either, at least not on Intel where it requires a Z board.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,588.87 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Permabanned
Intel/DDR5 option:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,520.82 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

CPU and motherboard don't support overclocking.

Most likely the 14900K will be highest upgrade available for this socket.

For CPU upgrades I think it would be best to go AM5.

GPU upgrade: I'd get a higher wattage PSU, maybe 850, which should account for e.g. a 7900 XT or 4080 type of card in the future. ATX 3.0/PCIE5 advisable if likely to go nvidia. Case is restricted to 355mm GPU length.

4070 can do 1440p, but 4K is pushing it in the latest games without upscaling.

I chose a compact 4070 for the case and because the weight and risk of damage when carrying would hopefully be lower compared to a large 3 fan card. I also chose a glass-less case for the same reason.

Micro-ATX alternative with overclockable CPU/motherboard:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,530.82 (includes delivery: £7.99)​
Just my 2 pence regarding the 4070 and it's capability in real world use vs biased youtubers/journos/people clearly receiving back handers in reviews... I'll just quote what I said in another post as it sums up my overall experience - and don't get me wrong I'm an AMD/ATI guy at heart, and if this hadn't done what I wanted it to I'd of sent it packing as I'm VERY picky/moany if summit doesn't work haha!

Anyway here's what I said before regarding it...
"I have run everything you can think of at ultra settings 4k native with RT on (or 4k high on things like tlou which will still do low to mid 60s with the latest patch) on my 4070 and my max usage for vram is 9.3-9.7gb... In all the latest titles... I only play at 1440p so I can't see 12gb being an issue, especially not with dlss3.0 for the next few years.

I've also messed around with UE5 stuff and again the reality seems different to the overhyped clearly sponsored journos/youtube shills.

When you do a side by side with someone with a higher vram card the game simply allocates more vram because it's there, however their utilisation seems to be higher than mine even at the same res/settings?

So either it's developer favouritism to nvidia in terms of optimisation/utilisation/allocation or the amd cards seem to just want to use a bit more in their method of raster? No bias as I'm actually an AMD/ATi guy by preference, I have a AMD cpu in both builds and a AMD card in my 2nd rig...

As with cars I often have multiple brands/models at once as they're good in their own individual ways, so in this case I just fancied trying out something different as the idea of the 200w tbp of the 4070 over 350-450w of a 6800-6950xt paired with 53-58c without the fans even spinning vs 80-110c of a 6950xt burning my leg was a no brainer at the same price...
Plus dlss3.0 gives me a very nice bit of future proofing headroom when it starts to not be able to handle a capped 60fps in SP at high/ultra... It's nice having RT on and not crippling the system was also a nice bonus.

The win factor for me that sold it was seeing I could run 1440-4k native at 130w ultra settings when undervolted without the fan even coming on at 53-58C (the fan comes on stock at 65C on my asus 4070 anyway) so when I'm playing 1440p native at ultra settings capped to 60fps for SP games (as I don't see the point if it's not MP of higher than 60fps) the 4070 sips power at around 105-120w!

My system is silent and uses £18-22 a month including amp/speakers/monitor playing it everyday 6hours of an evening :) it literally pulls 260-280w all in at the wall vs 350-450w for just the gpu of a 6xxx/7xxx high tier card at the same settings/res...
Then with those 6xxx/7900xt(x) gpu's paired with the rest of the components/monitor/speakers/amp ends up 5-600w easily and costing me double a month in electric! F that!

Which over the year is a lot of money wasted when you're in an area with a disgusting pricing for electric, and want to enjoy limitless play time on your new system that you've just built!

People may say it's very expensive for what it is but I've already got half my money back for that year in electric saved vs spending it on the rival card that can't do rt/dlss3.0/frame generation.
So by the 2nd year it's cost me half that in what I've saved in electric, by the third year it's free... And so forth and so forth, when dlss can't help it, it'll just go in my 2nd rig as an upgrade, no biggie!

And I'll stress this point again I am an AMD/ATI guy with AMD cpu's in both rigs and AMD gpu in the 2nd, but I can't argue with that featureset/performance/power consumption, I'd have bought this regardless of who made it (just like with cars), imho it's as impressive as the rx6600xt was for it's time punching way above it's weightclass for it's power consumption! There literally ISN'T another card that can sip 105-135w at ultra 1440p-4k native and produce the fps this can, let alone with frame generation/rt/dlss on and still not go above that wattage!

A LOT of people don't realise what their system is costing them each month let alone year, yet complain about overpriced hardware, kind of ironic, no?

Oh and it goes without saying if I'd not have been happy I'd of sent it straight back, what with everything having the no questions asked 14 day return/refund policy!"

So yeah definitely recommend if you want the nice bit of extra headroom with dlss 3.0/3.5/frame generation/super low latency mode/ray tracing, and the ability to use it at 4k with 1440p dlss textures that you can't tell in real life even on a 65" tv - trust me I have asked many mates what res they think it is natively etc and tricked them all - I personally thought dlss was rubbish when I used amd FSR on my 2nd rig and was very skeptical about this but thought screw it I'll try it and see, and yeah dlss3.0 is VERY impressive. Having gone from a 65" 4k tv to a 32" 1440p monitor it's VERY hard to tell!

Back
Top Bottom