Shared Water supply pipe - any advice ?

Soldato
TBH, I'd probably just pay the grand to get it fixed. As long as it's getting fixed properly (fully replaced pipe).

The vindictive side of me would want to force my neighbour to contribute - being their pipe - but some things in life are just easier to bite the bullet and get done.

I'd also be looking to get the water company to install new separate meters / supplies. So in future their problem is no longer your problem.

Soldato
TBH, I'd probably just pay the grand to get it fixed. As long as it's getting fixed properly (fully replaced pipe).

The vindictive side of me would want to force my neighbour to contribute - being their pipe - but some things in life are just easier to bite the bullet and get done.

I'd also be looking to get the water company to install new separate meters / supplies. So in future their problem is no longer your problem.
Almost like the consequences of not being fixed are heavily weighted towards OP than the neighbor anyway. Drive subsidence etc...

Soldato

I'd be tempted to do the same i.e separate supply to my property. We've just done exactly that through United Utilities, as they had a grant available to anyone which covered half the cost.

Associate
OP

No the £1K is just for piecing in a new pipe in that section! To have the whole pipe replaced to my property would be £2500 and it would still leave about a meter of my neighbours old existing supply pipe under my drive.

Soldato
This is unfortunate, it very much isn't your responsibility and the contracted team shouldn't be leaving you with issues to resolve or holding you to ransom like they seem to be trying.

Associate
OP
Update on the case:

Finally had a response from the insurance company confirming the initial contractors were only sent out to locate and assess and not start digging.
Confirmed that the leak is on the supply pipe responsible by our neighbours and not us.

Told us to arrange repairs and claim the money from our neighbours and offered to come and backfill the hole once we arranged our own repairs.

they basically said ooopsy our fault but we still wont fix it and pay for it.

I have since taken quotes from various companies to replace the whole pipe and not just the damaged section and the best quote was only £200 more than it would have cost to only replace the damaged section!

having the whole waterpipe to our house replaced next week

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know about you but if I had a water leak on my property and it wasn't my water and no one wanted to take responsibility, I'd clamp the pipe off and let whoevers water turns off sort it out.. Amazing how quick people move when they are inconvenienced

Associate
OP
I'm just biting the bullet and paying for it, at least then its done.

Just think the contractors that dug the hole and left it should contribute towards the cost.

I'm so perplexed that nobody within the water board and contractors involved are giving a **** that this has been leaking for weeks now - I saw it when they turned on the stopcock - it was like an open kitchen tap shooting water 10m in the air.

Prior to them digging and exposing the leak it was completely compacted with clay and only bubbling.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm so perplexed that nobody within the water board and contractors involved are giving a **** that this has been leaking for weeks now
If it's not a shared supply pipe, the board aren't allowed to touch it.
But if you can prove it is shared, they ought to be out there as quick as possible.

Again, get your local MP to hassle the **** out of them.
I don't know if the MP can help with your insurance, but if a third party's responsibility is causing damage to your property, then perhaps your ins co should sort it out and then go claim off the neighbours? I'd have thought they're likely to have better debt recovery resources, maybe a contracted bailiff or something.

Back
Top Bottom