Sharing grades (Especially high ones)

Associate
I posted this on my wall recently along with my actual scores I've hit this year which were all 90-95's in 2 modules

left school with poor grades because i didn't revise and didn't take my last years seriously. dropped out of college and regretted my mistakes ever since and was always gutted i never went to uni.
having gone back to college and gained 2 level 3's my next step was uni and i doubted massively i wouldn't be able to manage it having not done it for so long.

it has been a stressful start and i took too much on to begin with but i'm near the end of my first two modules and hopefully ahead enough to have a little break before my next. having got my last assignment back and both my final assignments almost complete i feel i can finally relax a little. looking back at my results i'm buzzing i'm on for 2 distinctions its made all the stress and sacrifices worth it as its been hard to keep the same level on both.

going back to uni as an adult has made me appreciate learning more, and it's insane the amount of information I've had to digest so i fully respect any person with a degree or above. still a long way to go to from where i want to be and i have no idea how much harder it gets but at least its a direction. i'm so glad i managed to pluck up the courage to go and think it's never too late

And got a few comments from people saying there was no need to show off. I took offence and went on the defensive with a comment but decided not to send it but delete the status instead because I never wanted to post it for people to think I was showing off.

I've sat and thought about it since and I found there's a lot of people who disagree with people sharing their grades. The Open University asks that people do not share grades with others as it is unfair to the people who don't score high, On module Facebook pages there's a lot of the people in between low scores and average that end up posting and their scores and discussing it with each other also. I've sat through my whole course unable to share it with like minded people for the fear it will be frown upon and kept my grades really to myself.

Is it just me or am I right in saying you're discriminated against when you gain high scores? Many people think that you're rubbing it in peoples faces when all I really want to do is express my achievements for the hard work and sacrifices I've had to take to hit those scores consistently. I do not believe I'm better than anyone, It's took a lot of hard work to get myself from 2 years ago(didn't know times table) to the point I'm at now but it would be nice to share those achievements without feeling like i'm a show off.

Has anyone else felt the same or do you share your scores?

Soldato
You are just showing off though. You wouldn't be posting things like "i'm so glad i managed to pluck up the courage to go and think it's never too late" if you'd barely scraped a pass - that's just window dressing for the boast.

Soldato
**** those complaining about you turning your situation around. As long as you're happy with what you're achieving both grade wise and by personal goals, then talking about your situation with your grades showing is fine by me.

People posting their stuff as a look at me is bloody annoying, especially when they're (IMO) going off to fill three years in before job hunting, but are acting like they've cured a cancer.

Soldato
**** those complaining about you turning your situation around. As long as you're happy with what you're achieving both grade wise and by personal goals, then talking about your situation with your grades showing is fine by me.

I would vote for you in a referendum regarding queen wasp ownership of fecal mail.

Caporegime
I reckon you've just experienced tall poppy syndrome, if you were in 'murica you'd have a ton of likes and a bunch of people giving faux praise/encouragement.

Also, this sentence:

i doubted massively i wouldn't be able to manage it having not done it for so long.

yuk

Associate
OP
You are just showing off though. You wouldn't be posting things like "i'm so glad i managed to pluck up the courage to go and think it's never too late" if you'd barely scraped a pass - that's just window dressing for the boast.

I didn't really expect to get the scores that I had, and I surprised myself when I kept getting them. I doubted my ability to go to uni a lot. If I got a pass I'd still be glad I'd gone because I'd still be in line to pass a degree.

To be fair I posted them because it was the first time I sat back and appreciated the scores that I received. I'm far from feeling anything better than anyone, a lot of hard work, stress and sacrifices have gone into these modules having a child and working full time, and that was the first time really I've shared what I scored.

Am I a show off because the scores were high? opposed to lower scores that others regularly share? If my scores were 60 I would have still shared them.

I guess It may be a show off and shall keep my grades to CV only

Last edited:
You shouldn't have deleted your post, deleted your "friends" maybe.

This tbh. I took my GCSEs in 1995 (20 years ago already?!), and when my grades came through, my parents phoned up our friends and relatives who congratulated me and sent greetings cards in the post etc. On Facebook, the grades should only be shared with the same group of people who my parents phoned up 20 years ago.

Those apostrophes though

You really enjoy putting people down don't you? :p

Back
Top Bottom