1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharm el Sheikh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MAXIBOY, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MAXIBOY

Hitman

going in January

any recommendations on which part/ hotel

things to do. thinking Cairo and Luxor

thanks..

2. placeholder

Mobster

Workmate has just been.

She loved the resort/hotel complex. Absolutely first class.

The rest of Egypt scared the living daylights out of her.

3. MAXIBOY

Hitman

yeah heard the same but will get out during the second week.

unless eaten by a shark in the first week..

4. Fuzz

Capodecina

Diving :D

5. placeholder

Mobster

Actually yeah! Thats one thing she did that was "amazing". Im guessing it was at a fairly simplistic level - not sure, but it was well worth doing some organised stuff!

6. StriderX

Capodecina

I hear the waters this time of year are just screaming with excitement.

7. placeholder

Mobster

Cairo was the issue - huge poverty and begging, everyone was looking for money. At one point they went to the police that were there and they wanted money too. Im not sure that that is typical but they were constantly on their guard from beggars and the like.

Dont want to put you off, im sure it is awesome but im just passing on what my friends impression was.

8. placeholder

Mobster

Ooops.missed the obvious joke i guess!! :D

9. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I've been to Egypt 3 times and the first time was Sharm El Sheikh at a place called Three Corners St George.
    Some pics here - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/egypt.htm

We flew to Cairo to visit the Giza Plateau & Cairo Museum and then a couple of days later flew to Luxor where we visited Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple & Valley Of the Kings.

10. Dave85

Sgarrista

Also consider Hurghada as alternative.

11. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I went to Hurghada last year for 5 days as part of 3 week Egypt holiday.
    I didn't like it, Blackpool with the sun.

12. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

Egypt is a lovely place, just for the love of God take some alcohol rub for your hands EVERY time you even touch money.

I was crapping like a baby from the day after I got there to a week after I got home, with awful belly cramps.

13. geeklight

Gangster

I stayed at the Sonesta Beach Hotel when I went and I loved it- the place was nice, out room was huge, staff were brilliant, really helpful and the cleaning guy took a bit of a shine to me and my mate and use to leave a swan made of a towel on our bed every day! The diving is meant to be beautiful there- I went snorkelling in Ras Mohammed, and that was amazing, wish I'd gone diving instead. My cousin went diving at Tiran Island which she said was brilliant, but the diving in Dahab (not far from Sharm) is meant to be incredible!

Took a day trip to Cairo as well- we went on the overnight local bus and didn't realise they do a drug check at the border so was a bit scary being woken up by men with guns talking to us in Arabic. Lucky there was a guy who spoke English so we understood what was happening! Loved Cairo- it has it's beautiful parts and it's poverty, in the same way as most major tourist cities. Well worth going to though I think, although I think it's a bit violent at the moment.

14. Thomss

Wise Guy

We had a great time there just under a year ago!
    Really enjoyed it.

15. Relentless81

Sgarrista

My mates loved it so much when they went for their holiday this year they are going again for the new year

16. J-FRO

Mobster

I stayed on a complex which was owned by First Choice I think. All inclusive and all that jazz.

Trip to Cairo to see the pyramids is a must. Beware of the culture shock in Cairo though!

And also, go quad-biking out into the desert to see either the sunrise or sunset. I saw the sunrise and it was pretty awesome. The whole quadbiking in the mountains/desert during twilight was great as well. But you will need sunglasses to stop sand blowing in your eyes and get the scarves as well otherwise you'll breathe it in too.

17. Doonhamer

Wise Guy

A lot of people seem to do this. On the first day I was their the guide asked who had all been to Egypt before and about half of those in the group had visited at least once before.

18. trigger-happy

Mobster

There are some really nice prices up for it now, all inclusive. My folks at home might be going on January too for my birthday.

19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

My favourite place in Egypt is Luxor and I would live there.
    We stayed at a hotel for 7 days called St Josephs ( http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lux...292&vpsrc=6&hnear=Luxor,+Qena,+Egypt&t=h&z=19 )
    and for all our food (3 times a day), beer, drinks, 7 days stay, it cost a total of £210 for both of us (£105 each) and it's easily the best holiday I've ever had.

I would also advise everybody to experience a 7 day Nile Cruise - AWESOME.

20. Steve Zodiac

Associate

Sharm el **** Hole ! Would not go there if you payed me.
    Everyone i know thats been there got the stomach bug, poverty and begging etc.
    Go somewere nice like Tenerife or Ibiza, Safe clean lots better !