Sheared Bolt Problem.

Associate
Hi, Apolgies for the incorrect terminology used here, this is my first brake pad change attempt and im only just starting with doing mechanical stuff myself! Anyhow i changed one side of pads fine (these are on the rear) and when i came to do the second one of my bolts sheared off. Anyway i phoned a mate who was like yeah no problem mate ill get it off, anyway took it round to him and now its in a worst state and still stuck in there. Ive taken a couple of photos on the camera phone, and looking for any advice please!

If i can get a new one, then ill do it, but everyone ive spoken to reckons thats never going to happen! Anyway hope the photos shed some light, and you guys can help!

Soldato
I think it's a normal right hand thread tbh.

Looks like the sider pin is held to the upright with a small (M8?) bolt, fairly normal arrangement.

You have a couple of options, though it depends on what facilities you have available:

Firstly I would stick a nut over the remains of the bolt and weld down the middle. The heat is goof for releasing the seized threads and the nut gives you something to get a spanner on.

The next option is to file down the remains nice and flat, accurately center punch the end and then drill the bolt out. By taking your time and steadily going up in drill sizes you can usualy get the bolt removed with none or minimal damage to the internal threads. You need a steady hand and a good eye to hold a power drill perfectly level, so a bench drill is a better bet.

Associate
... i just meant that it looks like it could be a lot of effort to remove the bolt when you could just buy a new one. makes life in the future easier too

Associate
OP
[edit]The 2nd photo shows the carrier bracket, the bolt that has sheared is one of 2 that holds the caliper on, and its mounted on a bit of metal that slides in the directon on the arrow thsu allowing the caliper to move backwards and forwards. The carrier retaining bolt screws into the top of this slider, and the remains are shown as the shiny silver bit, originally this would have had a nut on top if it also[/edit]

Ive tried getting another part from various places, but they dont want to know about it, without getting a new caliper.

Ive got access to a bench drill through another mate, but im not sure how good id be at that, guess theres no harm. I have no access to a welder so thats not an option really, unless theres someone in the Coventry Area with one thatd do it for some beers :D

Last edited:
Soldato
That doesn't really clarify things at all and I've still got no idea what parts you actually need. One suggestion I can make though is contact brakes international (www.brakesint.co.uk) and ask then whether their caliper refurbishment kit contains the part you need.

Associate
OP
Its done :D

To provide some resoloution to this thread, despite many not understanding it due to my poor explanation terms, i have manged to remove offending bolt courtesy of a drill (Thanks Dogbreath ;)). When drilling the bolt, the drills torque managed to start turning the bolt and free it. On reversing of the drill i was able to remove the bolt.

Anyway, its all good! Now onto getting the brakes back together and getting them bedded in :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
numnutz said:
To provide some resoloution to this thread, despite many not understanding it due to my poor explanation terms, i have manged to remove offending bolt courtesy of a drill (Thanks Dogbreath ;)). When drilling the bolt, the drills torque managed to start turning the bolt and free it. On reversing of the drill i was able to remove the bolt.

Anyway, its all good! Now onto getting the brakes back together and getting them bedded in :D
Bet that's a relief, I hate sheared bolts :)

Back
Top Bottom