Shed Thread

Soldato
Thought we could do with a shed thread, mainly I want one :p

I'm looking at getting a 10x6' pent from Tiger. Needs to store a couple of bikes and be used as workshop space. But I need the base sorting out!

What's the best option for the base? I'd assume that a slab base is preferable over those plastic grid things?

Soldato
I was thinking about bases for a garden office and told recently by a landscaper friend, that concrete would be more effective and a similar price than a slab base. For a 2.5m x 4m base I was quoted £690. The good thing about a solid base like concrete is that it will be raised up from the soil and flat enough that you can put bearers underneath it to prevent damp.

Soldato
OP
I was thinking about bases for a garden office and told recently by a landscaper friend, that concrete would be more effective and a similar price than a slab base. For a 2.5m x 4m base I was quoted £690. The good thing about a solid base like concrete is that it will be raised up from the soil and flat enough that you can put bearers underneath it to prevent damp.

That seems like an awful lot of money to pour some concrete on the ground, I certainly wouldn't spent anything like that on doing a slab base! I'd rather not have something that needs a pneumatic drill to take up if it needs to move for whatever reason.

I was thinking a digging a foundation and putting down some kind of aggregate for drainage, a finer layer on top to flatten, then slabs on top...then the shed.

Associate
I've done them 2 different ways recently. First was concrete piles effectively, about a foot square and down to good ground, then fill with concrete, adjustable decking feet sat on these and a frame constructed on top out of 6x2 I think. Shed base then sat directly on this. It was quite a bit of faff but it was a sloped site and a 20' x 10' shed so I didn't fancy digging that area out completely. Means there is also bit of a step up into the shed but worked best in this situation. The second one was a basic dig down a foot, membrane, MOT1, sand and then slabs on top base and this is fine for the chicken coop and small shed. The area was quite level already so there wasn't too much material to remove.

If your site is quite level this is the way I'd go as it was only about 2 bulk bags of MOT and a bulk bag of sand plus some old council slabs I'd taken up from else where in the garden.

Slab Base

Slab Base build

Wooden Base

Soldato
OP
So, any recommendations for shed suppliers that aren't Tiger Sheds?

Getting my base installed this weekend, but Tiger have 12-14 week lead times on all the 10x8 models, which is what I'm after.

Soldato
OP
Got my base down yesterday. Need to chuck some gravel on it still though.

Ended up ordering shed from Elbec, delivery in less than two weeks. 10x8 shiplap workshop for 800 quid, seemed pretty reasonable and by far the shortest lead time.

Associate
Base went down yesterday for a new bike shed from Asgard. I went with a plastic grid system from Ecobase. Needed it to be 2*1 metres so needed 8 grids and four bags (20kg a bag I think) of pea gravel. Materials cost £100, we dug down 35mm levelled the land, laid the membrane, grid and then filled with the gravel.

Seems nice and sturdy, time will obviously tell but much happier than probably spending more on getting a concrete slab laid.

Soldato
So, any recommendations for shed suppliers that aren't Tiger Sheds?

Getting my base installed this weekend, but Tiger have 12-14 week lead times on all the 10x8 models, which is what I'm after.

You will most likely have a couple of independent local shed /timber suppliers near you that make to order. Pricing will be fairly close to Internet but quality much better.

Ones at garden centres etc tend to be expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You will most likely have a couple of independent local shed /timber suppliers near you that make to order. Pricing will be fairly close to Internet but quality much better.

Place I ordered from (Elbec) is actually pretty local though I didn't realise that when ordering.

I did contact someone that advertised in the local rag, but like every other local business I've contacted recently, they never responded. Guess they're all busy enough and can't be arsed to respond, but doesn't fill me with confidence.

Put a plastic base down. Seems to make the most sense, it won't rot, and will keep the water away from the shed base unlike slab.

Didn't dig all the turf away in the end, just chucked a load of sub base down on the lower areas to level it up, then put the membrane down.

Soldato
OP
kXPFfdc.jpg

Almost finished. 10'8' shiplap from Elbec. Was out painting the damn thing until nearly 8 last night in the dark to get it covered before the rain today. Still needs a bit of tidying up and some trim painting.

Was delivered in a week, if anyone else is looking around in dismay at the lead times from Tiger and other places!

Soldato

I had quite the opposite experience of the local companies around me, they were flimsy overpriced tat compared to Tiger so make sure you do your research.

Soldato
Picked up a <1 year old 12'x10' shed for £100 a couple of weeks ago. Having googled, it was approx £2.5k new (includes assembly)! Wife found it on Facebook. Bargain!

I've painted it all, but need to take down two old smaller sheds (including one which currently houses a pair of rabbits) and see what's underneath them before reassembling.

A pic from the FB ad:
KajF3g6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of getting a log cabin from tiger or tuin around 3m wide - 2/2.5m deep as the garden is not huge, but big enough to be an WFH space or somewhere to relax in the evenings in the spring and summer.

With insulation and electrics installed would having this extra usable space increase the value of a home at all? The house itself is a 2 bed terraced.

Caporegime
Thinking of getting a log cabin from tiger or tuin around 3m wide - 2/2.5m deep as the garden is not huge, but big enough to be an WFH space or somewhere to relax in the evenings in the spring and summer.

With insulation and electrics installed would having this extra usable space increase the value of a home at all? The house itself is a 2 bed terraced.

Would you pay more or less for a home with a properly constructed log cabin?

Back
Top Bottom