SHIP MY DESKTOP TO JAPAN!!!

Associate
I'm considering emigrating to the land of school girls and tentacle monsters.

How viable would it be to ship my tower unit to Japan? Its pretty heavy. It would need delicate handling. Any ideas about import restrictions, costs e.t.c.?

thanks

yep, get a cheap HD for your old system, sell as a package, take your HD with you abroad, then put it into your new pc in slave mode and u will have all ya data with you

turbotoaster said:
yep, get a cheap HD for your old system, sell as a package, take your HD with you abroad, then put it into your new pc in slave mode and u will have all ya data with you
whats all this malarky about slave mode :confused:

doesn't everybody use SATA these days :p

turbotoaster said:
That'd do it, but I'd more comfortable backing up the drive to DVDs, just in case it's damaged in transit.

wasn't aware so many (read: 3?) people had issues with SATA :confused: ?

both my HDDs are SATA, WD Raptor (74GB) and a Seagate Barracuda (120GB)... my mates rig that i built him is all SATA too... weird :-/

nikebee said:
wasn't aware so many (read: 3?) people had issues with SATA :confused: ?

both my HDDs are SATA, WD Raptor (74GB) and a Seagate Barracuda (120GB)... my mates rig that i built him is all SATA too... weird :-/

I've not seen any stats that would suggest SATA drives are any more or less reliable than PATA drives. They are the same IDE drive - only the method of transferring the data to and from them is different. PATA drives use 80 parallel channels, SATA drives use one very fast one. The original SATA drives were PATA drives with an adaptor fixed on to them.

Anyone using PATA these days is going to run out of available channels pretty fast as most modern motherboards have only one PATA socket. I've even started to go SATA for optical drives now the Samsung SH-163 is out at the same price as PATA optical drives. I don't notice any performance difference, but it makes the cabling tidier.

turbotoaster said:
take it on the plane with ya, just be careful incase they say its a bomb(pants off and lube job :eek: )

Lube? No chance, I bet those people keep their fingernails long and pointy!

Anyway, it won't be a problem taking hard discs or DVD's onto a plane. I've always got at least 1 spare HD and a load of DVD's in my carry on when I'm travelling.

ashmanq said:
Lube?
:eek: :eek: :D lol

There's always one! I bet if you're ever in that situation it's not by accident hehe ;)

"Anything to declare?"

"Yes I've got a bomb up my bum - haha just kidding honest"

<sound of rubber gloves snapping and squelchy noises>

:eek:

marc mercer said:
There's always one! I bet if you're ever in that situation it's not by accident hehe ;)

"Anything to declare?"

PMSL

marc mercer said:

"Anything to declare?"

LOL :D :D

marc mercer said:

"Anything to declare?"

I always worry when i hear that sound pmsl :D

Back
Top Bottom