Ships under attack in the middle east

Permabanned
I never claimed that EU sanctions did have any power over them. What relevance does that have here? Again Gibraltar is an EU member, the ship was stopped in Gibraltar's waters not Iran's.

You seem rather confused, just because a ship's cargo is owned by a country doesn't mean that country's laws apply wherever that cargo goes - if that was the case then any number of companies say based in Amsterdam could transit say recreational drugs all through whatever territorial water's they liked.

Back to the point the other poster was making questioning whether this occurred in Gibraltar's waters - the Spanish don't seem to be disputing where it occurred (just who owns the waters, they apparently even sent one of their own vessels to observe)

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/07/05/inenglish/1562310818_569487.html

Great. So you will have zero problems with Iran seizing British ships travelling near their coast if they decide to 'sanction' us?

Caporegime
Great. So you will have zero problems with Iran seizing British ships travelling near their coast if they decide to 'sanction' us?

No not necessarily, see answer to previous post. Why play dumb here, read the answers to the questions you've already answered.

Permabanned
No not necessarily, see answer to previous post. Why play dumb here, read the answers to the questions you've already answered.

Why not? There's nothing stopping Iran 'sanctioning' us.

I'm trying to get at how stupid our actions are by the way. We are opening ourselves up to have our own ships seized in retaliation.

Caporegime
Why not? There's nothing stopping Iran 'sanctioning' us.

Like I said, read the previous post:

Not necessarily, it depends on the context, they'd potentially have a bit of an argument in the Strait of Hormuz but elsewhere, if a civilian ship was to enter their waters and was carrying something that broke their laws then yes the Iranian authorities could potentially detain the ship and investigate/enforce any laws that may have been broken.

I don't see what you're having trouble with here - are you really asking can a country enforce its own laws within it's own territory... well yes, yes it generally can!

Permabanned
Like I said, read the previous post:

You agree with me then. The Iranians can make whatever law they want that puts passing ships in contravention and seize them at will.

This is my point. This is the way to the wild west.

How does seizing an Iranian oil tanker benefit the UK? Madness.

Caporegime
Well they will when oil tankers destined for the UK start being seized.

Well if they want to potentially escalate things and eventually trigger a war or response then they can indeed play silly games.

I'd suggest that if Iran arbitrarily banned British ships from its waters then in most cases British ships would avoid Iranian waters, the exception perhaps it the Strait of Hormuz where they're not really allowed to, albeit they keep on making threats about shutting it down in general - something that could easily trigger war with the US.

Permabanned
Well if they want to potentially escalate things and eventually trigger a war or response then they can indeed play silly games.

I'd suggest that if Iran arbitrarily banned British ships from its waters then in most cases British ships would avoid Iranian waters, the exception perhaps it the Strait of Hormuz where they're not really allowed to, albeit they keep on making threats about shutting it down in general - something that could easily trigger war with the US.

We are picking the fight, not Iran, and good luck with a war on them.

P..S Love how it is Iran 'escalating' after being subjected to economic warfare and attempts at bringing their country to its knees...

Caporegime
You agree with me then. The Iranians can make whatever law they want that puts passing ships in contravention and seize them at will.

Not necessarily, I explained my position already, in the post I've both asked you to read and re-quoted for you, it isn't hard to understand AFAIK. If it is then please do ask for clarification on any part you're not following.

How does seizing an Iranian oil tanker benefit the UK? Madness.

We haven't seized an Iranian oil tanker. The Government of Gibraltar (part of the EU) has seized a Panamanian flagged vessel owned by a Singaporean company suspected of transporting oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions. The cargo this vessel was carrying, though ostensibly claimed in paperwork to originate from Basra, Iraq, is believed to be of Iranian origin, this has become rather blatant given Iran's reaction to this event.

The UK, like other EU countries, supports efforts to put pressure on the Assad regime as a result of their bloody crackdown of their own civilian population, these sanctions are part of that effort.

Permabanned
Why do I need luck? You do understand that the US and Israel, 2 of the most powerful militaries on the planet are looking for any excuse?

The US that hasn't gone against a peer adversary since Japan in the 40s and got beaten by Vietnam? And Israel that got kicked out of Lebanon by Hezbollah despite being in receipt of billions of military aid from the US? Impressive.

If they are mad enough to go against Iran they will shut down the Strait of Hormuz and the world economy crashes.

Do you want that?

Permabanned
Not necessarily, I explained my position already, in the post I've both asked you to read and re-quoted for you, it isn't hard to understand AFAIK. If it is then please do ask for clarification on any part you're not following.

We haven't seized an Iranian oil tanker. The Government of Gibraltar (part of the EU) has seized a Panamanian flagged vessel owned by a Singaporean company suspected of transporting oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions. The cargo this vessel was carrying, though ostensibly claimed in paperwork to originate from Basra, Iraq, is believed to be of Iranian origin, this has become rather blatant given Iran's reaction to this event.

The UK, like other EU countries, supports efforts to put pressure on the Assad regime as a result of their bloody crackdown of their own civilian population, these sanctions are part of that effort.

It's an Iranian oil tanker no matter what it says on the paper work.

If you are all for this then great, then I expect your support of Iran's actions when they seize British tankers based on their own arbitrary legally unenforceable sanctions.

Oh, the 'bloody' Assad regime...please. Have you arrived in a Delorean from 2011? Assad has been fighting our pet jihadis and winning hence the hatred of him.

Back
Top Bottom