Shooting at French Satirical Magazine

RDM

RDM

Soldato
But I thought we've ascertained it is perfectly acceptable to be offensive, or is that only when we are offending others?

I don't agree with what they are getting upset about, but they perfectly have the right to express that upset - without crossing the line to incite any hatred or violence themselves.

I just find it strange people are expressing 'disgust' over a peaceful protest, when the whole issue of Charlie is about freedom of expression and the right to offend.

Surely freedom of speech also allows people to disagree with their protest? I can disagree with their protest without disagreeing with their right to protest?

Caporegime
classic ocuk GD replies :rolleyes:

"OMG they are attacking our freedom of speech rights deport them all"
"OMG they are exercising their freedom of speech rights deport them all"

Not sure anyone is saying they shouldn't be allowed to hold these views just that their views are dumb. Using freedom of speech to protest against freedom of speech is rather amusing. If they want to get butt hurt over a cartoon then fine.

Associate
It's a pity they seem more 'offended' by the drawings (which targeted a plethora of subjects and religions) than the act of murder that happened on the streets of Paris over 2 days.

Indeed, this groups only aim seems to be to stop anyone 'offending' their beliefs. They seem fixated on stifling any debate on Islam, calling anyone who dares to criticize their religion as "Uncivilised Expressionists", listing the Satanic verses, Jyllands Posten and the Innocence of Muslims film as examples. No denouncement of anything other than that, seemingly on their site.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this topic has gone a little cold now, but I came across this (IMHO) great podcast by Sam Harris about this matter:-

Two of his comments resonated with me:-

"People have been murdered over cartoons! End of moral analysis!" - This perfectly sums up the matter (IMHO). There is no reasoning to be carried out. The blame lies entirely on "one side".

"We use words like extremist and extremism. What do these words mean? Extremism generally suggests that an expression of a certain set of ideas has become an exaggeration or distortion of those ideas. But when we're talking about Muslim extremists, have they really exaggerated or distorted the core teachings of Islam? No, Muslim extremists are motivated by the most literal and straight forward and comprehensive resort to the ideas expressed in the Quran and Hadith. What is ISIS doing that Modammed didn't do, or didn't abdocate somewhere in scripture?" - This hits the nail on the head again IMHO. Until we recognise these acts of terrorism are not down to "extremists," in the true sense, we are not understanding the problem.

Back
Top Bottom