Shooting RAW + Jpeg

Associate
Mornin!

Yesterday I went for a lil walk with the dog, and camera...and only having my brothers slow pc to edit them on, I thought I'd shoot raw + jpeg to save time opening unwanted raws etc...now then, when I got home and put them on here, I had all the jpegs, but then what I assume would have been the raws, were of the same file size and appeared to also be jpegs! :confused:

Its the 400D.....am I doing something wrong or am I just not understanding something?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
1) How did you transfer the files to the PC?

2) What are you using to view the files? RAW files have an imbedded JPEG preview that the viewer is showing

3) Have you done a directory listing for the path containing the photos, are you seeing a bunch of .cr2 files as well as .jpgs?

Associate
OP
1) Straight off the camera, I've tried it with the windows image transfer program thing and I looked what was on the camera with explorer, all that was there was the jpegs and a duplicate for each of those (which are also apparently jpegs)

2) Laptops got the xp raw thumbnail installed, but been viewing them either with the default xp picture viewer and also the program that comes with the canons (digital camera/photo proffesional? cant remember its name now!)

3) As I pointed out in number 1....explorer just seems to be showing all jpegs :(

Man of Honour
I have this vague recollection of seeing something which suggested that you can't pull RAWs off a 400D (or a 350D/300D) over the USB link without using the Canon software (or something coded with the Canon SDK).

Try grabbing a copy of Downloader Pro from www.breezesys.com and see what that reckons is on the camera.

Associate
OP
I'm quite sure they're on the card, the used space amount suggest so! It took a lot of playing around to get raws off it before so thats probably what it is! I'd install the software that came with it but I'm at my parents and the CD is at the other end of the country lol :(

Thanks for that link, Ill check it out and let u know! Thanks for the speedy reply! :)

Back
Top Bottom