Should Advertising Gambling Be Banned?

Gambling comes in many guises too. Even investing can be considered gambling, for example, if you go into it and buy any old **** hoping it goes up.
You could claim someone who knows a lot about horse racing has just as much chance as someone who knows a lot about the stock market.

both of them are gambling to a degree, but most gambling won't be informed, it will be spur of the moment or based on emotions.

taking advantage of the impulsive mainly.

they should ban scratch cards I see loads of poor people wasting money on them, or at least hide them like ciggies

Last edited:
Shirley part of the issue is that these products are only legal for some (e.g. 18+) and yet the advertising doesn't take that into consideration.

They should emulate what happened with cigarettes by saying that gambling establishments must be as bland as possible like the barriers they have for cigs. As for website-based scum like Stake they should be ordered to do the same, only the most basic website possible or IP banned.

Last edited:
Ban them. I get bombarded with Gambling ads because they are default when ad-tracking is blocked - and some of them are so obtuse and weird that I am sure they are some kind of borderline Psy-Op. Bally, im looking at you.

My ex-wife is a gambler but has it under control somewhat, so is my son I had with her. He apparently was given 10k from my ex's mum to feed his habit, saying the money was for food and his kids. She was very old and didn't have most of her faculties at the time, now she has passed away. He also hit me up for quite a bit of cash too, saying it was for my grandchildren as he wasn't working at the time. I didn't know about his Nan until much later. He seems reformed now and as far as I know, isn't gambling. He certainly isn't asking me for money now anyway

My current partner's son mans a tipping line which is very dodgy indeed. He gets "punters" calling him for what to bet on and gets half of the winnings or something. I'm not exactly sure how it works really and just know it's dodgy as hell. He's made and lost huge sums of money on this then comes and takes money off his mum when he has none. He's mid 30s and my son is early 30s.

I hate gambling and those who foolishly partake while taking other for a ride to feed the addiction. I've forgiven my son now and we see each other fairly regularly.

Last edited:
True story.

I'm not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to gamble in the pubs in New Zealand.

I used to chat to a girl every now and then, she was really beautiful, mid 20's I guess.

All she did was work in an egg factory and when not working used to sit at a fruit machine in the pub and gamble all her disposable income, which I can't imagine was much, down the toilet.

What a shame, she was nice, you think, I could have married her had it not been for her addiction.

Ban them along with Vapes. No need for either outside of smalll scale prescription use.
Vapes! Don't get me started. They are freaking everywhere and the waste of them being chucked on the floor is insane.

Maybe not better for the user, but atleast cigs don't create soo much plastic waste.

It amuses me that a lot of people dismiss the national lottery as just a bit of fun.

Biggest gambling operator in the UK, UK Government via its license with camelot etc.
Gambling operator with the biggest number of outlets in the UK, UK government.
Gambling operator with the most advertising in the UK, UK government.

The UK lottery is the single biggest gambling operation in the UK. Up until 3 years ago, a 16 year old could walk into any corner shop, and spend every single penny he/she had on a gambling device that only pays back 53% to the punter. The government had a monopoly on entirely legal 16-17 year old gamblers, no limit on how much these children could lose, and literally could pay out Millions, in tens of thousands of venues.

The age limit was raised in Apr 2021. Unsurprisingly, the £8.3B sales record they set to year ending Apr 2021 has never been beaten in subsequent years, wonder why that is ?

but whereas there is now a lot of legislation and regulation around Know Your Customer and customer safeguarding for any company doing online or betting shop gambling, when is the last time you heard anyone being challenged in a corner shop about their age, or how much they spent on scratch cards, or whether they needed a cooling off period etc. Alsom no other gambling organisation could get away with a misery 53% payback.

And in terms of adveristing, National lottery is absolutely massive, not only in the traditional sense, but just about every major supermarket and minor corner shop you walk into has scratch cards prominently displayed, with shops also doing bespoke signage "rollover this week is £XX millions" etc.

I wager (!) that it is the biggest impetus for gambling in the UK, it has made gambling socially acceptable "it's only the lottery" and I imagine it is also a stepping stone for a lot of people to move into other forms of gambling.

Shops just love the lottery, it's the perfect sales item, no stock, no cost, effectively free money, and a natural footfall generator. Litttle wonder then that you would be hard pressed to find a shop that doesn't do the lottery.

The actual figures publised by the government for 2023 are:-

total ticket sales were £8,190.3 million. This resulted in:
  • £1,877.3 million generated for National Lottery projects.
  • £4,694 million awarded to players in prizes.
  • £982.8 million going to the Government in Lottery Duty.
  • £254.7 million earned by retailers in commission.
A nice £1B out of the £8B went straight into the government coffers, UK gov is the single biggest benefactor of UK citizens gambling. I wonder how many who think that it is fundamentally funding charity projects realise that for every £1 that goes to the charities, 50p goes to the government.

And the above figures showing "prizes" isn't telling the true story. The majority of those prizes are low value and will simply be fed straight back into buying more scratch cards, or it's a luck dip, and all you can do with a lucky dip is guess what, buy another ticket. A good proportion of those prizes never result in the player ending up with money.

For comparison, the next biggest gambling company operating in the UK is BET365. Income for year to April 2023 was £3.4B, and they made a loss of £72M.

So want to do something to curb gambling in the UK and reduce advertisment for it, get rid of the lottery would be the single biggest thing. But that would result in an additional £1B black hole. It won't happen.

Afterall, "it could be you"

Last edited:
All gambling ads should be banned, even those so called "fun" apps like Foxy Bingo etc. However, people that believe these ads and taken in to think that they are going to make a profit is down to their own stupidity.

Companies have a right to advertise but it's the consumer that has the final decision. If the ads were banned then I think it would help in the long run but weak minded people will never change.

Vapes! Don't get me started. They are freaking everywhere and the waste of them being chucked on the floor is insane.

Maybe not better for the user, but atleast cigs don't create soo much plastic waste.
The waste of lithium is criminal its a limited resource and though its apparently recyclable 99% of them end up in landfill I'm sure

Back
Top Bottom