Should fans still spin in BIOS using Corsair Commander Pro Fan hub?

Soldato
I have a new build jut powered on. All working and went straight into BIOS fine. All 6 of my fans are hooked up to the commander pro for speed and power control, but none of them spin. They light up though. For RGB light they are all hooked up to a separate inode core RGB hub. I want to obviously build windows and see if they are detected there, but I was thinking surely they should just spin at full speed by default for when in BIOS or installing windows? Or would you expect them to not spin at all?

Can anyone let me know if I've got a dead commander pro or this behaviour is expected?

Associate
The commander pro keeps your fan profile you set on a memory chip inside the copro. so it should in theory apply the fan profile from memory without icue so would work in bios. have you got the copro powered by sata?

Soldato
OP
The commander pro keeps your fan profile you set on a memory chip inside the copro. so it should in theory apply the fan profile from memory without icue so would work in bios. have you got the copro powered by sata?

Yes powered by sata power connector but I'm saying I've not built windows and been in it yet to load the icue software. I'd still expect then to atleast spin the fans out of the box.

Soldato
OP
No I haven't installed Windows yet as it's a new build and I wanted to ensure fans spin up otherwise it might overheat during the time it takes to install it all. No doubt I could link then up to motherboard headers for now but it's not the point...I just want to know if this is expected behaviour or if it's dead.

Soldato
OP
Cheers I can do that but would be good if someone can just test it and say whether yes it no, fans continue to spin in the bios for then with fans hooked up to commander pro so I know.

Permabanned
Commander pro normally defaults the fans to some spin speed even without any configuration, but you need to get in to iCEU in case it doesn't. This is because the commander pro has three built in fan curves - Quiet, Balanced and Extreme, and it normally defaults to Quiet on all the fans. Also when it fires up it identifies the fan type ( three pin or four pin ) and this can go wrong, so it's better to get in to the Settings page and set the fan types manually. The BIOS has absolutely no influence on this. If you want different fan curves you have to make custom curves. If you haven't installed windows and can't run iCEU yet then the Pro will probably default to Quiet mode if it manages to correctly identify the fans. Personally I would power the PC up first with the CPU fan being controlled by the BIOS and switch it to Commander Pro later on. Otherwise your CPU may get too hot. Once you have set everything up in iCEU then you can switch the CPU fan over to it. Note that every fan can be set according to a ton of different system temperatures so you need to check they are running from the CPU package.

Associate
ok so i deleted my custom fan curves and uninstalled icue. My fans started at default rpm in bios. Are your fans connected to the fan ports on the copro. Are you sure your sata is connected to the copro for power and the usb from copro to the motherboard?

Soldato
OP
ok so i deleted my custom fan curves and uninstalled icue. My fans started at default rpm in bios. Are your fans connected to the fan ports on the copro. Are you sure your sata is connected to the copro for power and the usb from copro to the motherboard?

Cheers for testing that. Think my brand new commander pro must be DOA. Seems they do have poor QC according to reviews. Hmm

Edit: Yes the commander pro has 6 fans connected to it. All Corsair RGB compatible ones. It also has power from the sata connector and is connected to the motherboard via a usb2 header.

Last edited:
Associate
maybe faulty then. Try installing windows first with fans plugged into motherboard. Install icue, turn off, plug fans into copro and boot. Then see if you can apply a fan profile and check to see if they working :)

Permabanned
It does sound faulty but I would definitely install iCEU first. I have known them not to spin up without a reset. You probably also need new firmware. You will find all that out when you install iCEU.
Must admit though that in a completely unconfigured state they normally give a quick burst of speed and then settle to quiet mode, so it doesn't right what you are getting.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, I have another one on order so will update you with how it progresses so people can look back on this for future reference in case of the same issue. :)

Soldato
OP
Plugged in a new one and it instantly spins the fans up so the previous was just dead on arrival. That's the first thing I've had dead out of the box for some time. Interestingly, it was a refurbished item as it's all they had in stock at the time I ordered over xmas. I wonder if this has been a previous return where someone broke it. I do notice one of the sata power connectors - upon closer inspection - has a tiny chunk of plastic missing from it near the pins. Dodge.

Permabanned
Plugged in a new one and it instantly spins the fans up so the previous was just dead on arrival. That's the first thing I've had dead out of the box for some time. Interestingly, it was a refurbished item as it's all they had in stock at the time I ordered over xmas. I wonder if this has been a previous return where someone broke it. I do notice one of the sata power connectors - upon closer inspection - has a tiny chunk of plastic missing from it near the pins. Dodge.

It's also possible they put a stupid configuration in it that left all the fans off.

Back
Top Bottom