Should I add an extra front fan?

Associate
Just putting my parts in a new case, I have 2 front fans and wondered if I should put a third in the front at the bottom, I was just a bit worried the bottom psu panel would interfere and cause noise as it would cut across the middle of the fan, the fans I installed are new but I have the same fan which is about a year old I could use.

Is it worth adding the third fan?

Associate
OP
It’s the bequiet 802, I’m going to use the mesh front rather than the solid front, with 1 exhaust fan, I didn’t think about a top fan, I do have a few spare, I think my main concern was the fan blowing on the psu shroud and if it would make a noise.

Edit: just seen I can take that part of the psu cover off so that eliminates the noise thinking.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s the bequiet 802, I’m going to use the mesh front rather than the solid front, with 1 exhaust fan, I didn’t think about a top fan, I do have a few spare, I think my main concern was the fan blowing on the psu shroud and if it would make a noise.

Edit: just seen I can take that part of the psu cover off so that eliminates the noise thinking.

Watched a HC video on the BeQuiet 500dx and the best configuration they got was intake front of case and intake top with exhaust out the back

Soldato
Just putting my parts in a new case, I have 2 front fans and wondered if I should put a third in the front at the bottom, I was just a bit worried the bottom psu panel would interfere and cause noise as it would cut across the middle of the fan, the fans I installed are new but I have the same fan which is about a year old I could use.

Is it worth adding the third fan?
Without knowing what case is, fan models, CPU, CPU cooler, GPU, etc. we can't give you educated suggestions. :)

Associate
OP
Info was a bit lacking in my first post, think I was trying to finish the transfer of cases before my wife got home (failed).
Third fan installed and all working great, thanks again for everyone’s help.

Associate
I have 3 intake and 1 exhaust. (All 120mm)
None at the top.

Im not bothered about noise so was thinking of putting in 2 more 140mm.

How best to configure. Number in/out and where should the 140mm-s go, please?

Soldato
I have 3 intake and 1 exhaust. (All 120mm)
None at the top.

Im not bothered about noise so was thinking of putting in 2 more 140mm.

How best to configure. Number in/out and where should the 140mm-s go, please?
Really need to know what case and components you have to give educated guess of where additional fans might help. ;)

Associate
As a rule of thumb, I generally work to having more fans pulling in than pushing air out to maintain positive pressure, or at least the inlet fans spinning faster than the outlet. The more fans you have the slower you can run them as well, which is important to me, though you say noise doesn't bother you so I guess that isn't particularly relevant.

I'd do 3 front, 1 back and 1 top with the back and top being exhaust. Or 3 front, 1 back and 2 up top but with the back and top fans spinning quite slowly in comparison.

Depending on your hardware though, that is possibly a lot of fans and an unnecessary expense.

Back
Top Bottom