Should I be worried?

Associate
I’ve got Malwarebytes Premium on my PC. I received an email from them regarding digital footprint with a tool whereby I could enter my email addresses one by one and they would check if information had been leaked on the web. They then show a summary.

Only one of my emails showed any information had been leaked. Malwarebytes checking showed my home address which is quite worrying. I stopped using that email address but kept it open (Virginmedia) after receiving loads of spam messages. I was only using it for ebay and PayPal and after getting so many spam messages I stopped using it and created a new one. The new email address is clear.

Malwarebytes is obviously trying to get business by offering a paid for addition to their bog standard premium, the cost being £149.oo per annum.

If the damage has already been done, I can’t see what Malwarebytes would be able to do.

Should I be unduly worried that someone could connect my email address to my home address? Any other advice please.....

Associate
I’ve got Malwarebytes Premium on my PC. I received an email from them regarding digital footprint with a tool whereby I could enter my email addresses one by one and they would check if information had been leaked on the web. They then show a summary.

Only one of my emails showed any information had been leaked. Malwarebytes checking showed my home address which is quite worrying. I stopped using that email address but kept it open (Virginmedia) after receiving loads of spam messages. I was only using it for ebay and PayPal and after getting so many spam messages I stopped using it and created a new one. The new email address is clear.

Malwarebytes is obviously trying to get business by offering a paid for addition to their bog standard premium, the cost being £149.oo per annum.

If the damage has already been done, I can’t see what Malwarebytes would be able to do.

Should I be unduly worried that someone could connect my email address to my home address? Any other advice please.....

One of my email addresses has had a lot of data breaches from companies getting hacked that held my information.

I've never had an issue. Worst is probably spam phone calls, and I couldn't prove either way that it was from the data breach. I wouldn't worry at all, personally.

Associate
OP
Cool story bro

Your information is everywhere, don't worry about it, it's a bit late for that

Mind boggles what you are doing using malwarebytes in the 1st place
Thanks why do you think I shouldn't use Malwarebytes?

Currently I'm using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes (belt and braces you might think)

Soldato
https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is good enough and is free, no need to pay mwb.

No need to install mwb at all, Windows is good enough now.

Use a different email address for every site to reduce the impact of a site compromising your info.

Obvs your irl address being out there is not good, but there's nothing you can do about it. Being able to connect the old email address to it isn't too bad, obvs the fewer places that email was used the better, nothing you can do about that now - just improve your practices going forwards.

Man of Honour
Bin MWB, you don't need to pay for any of this. Defender is part of Windows, and www.haveibeenpwned.com has been around for free for years. If you use Firefox, then Mozilla actively checks your details against breaches and notifies you as well.

The first point of defence is always common sense, then the 2nd point is the adblocker on your browse. uBlock Origin exists for all popular browsers and blocks known malware/tracking etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it malwarebytes showing your home address?

I've never seen someone's home address on those types of sites. Its usually listing websites and the email address.

Soldato
No need to install mwb at all, Windows is good enough now.
Microsoft Defender can be and has been bypassed in attacks, same as Gatekeeper in MacOS, so i personally wouldn't be 100% confident in it especially with malware/ransomware which is where Malwarebytes does a reasonable job. Each to their own though and i'm definitely not advocating everyone should install AV's et cetera.

Associate
OP
Is it malwarebytes showing your home address?

I've never seen someone's home address on those types of sites. Its usually listing websites and the email address.
Their tool did a search after I entered one email after another. Only one, the one I've NOT used for months, showed that my home address had been linked with it. I only used that particular email address for ebay and PayPall. I expect someone out there from whom I'd purchased items held my email address and he was hacked or he just gave it away. Although ebay ask for a contact number in profile, I just entered a spurious one and touch wood haven't received a multitude of phishing calls.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

PS: With Windows Defender does it put items in quarantine the same as other AV software?

Back
Top Bottom