Should I cut my grass just now ?

Soldato
Ours thankfully isn't too bad. Despite being south facing, so has certainly taken some advantage on the few really sunny days we've had over the winter so far. We've had quite a bit of rain as well.

Caporegime
best advice is to cut it long (highest setting on the mower) and cut it regularly for healthy grass.

rather than lowest setting so it's very short and leave it longer between cuts.

so i would cut it but follow the above. don't cut it short.

Soldato
Agree with physco sonny
Regular cutting is best~start high then in stages go lower
Rather than letting it get long
For one thing the bottom of the grass tends to stay damp then and you are half ripping/half cutting it
Guess it's all down to same as most things how much time and effort do you want to use up on it?
Scarifying, top dressing/reseeding will help
Aerating will certainly help
Solid or hollow tine aerating ~hollow usually being better~depending on soil conditions /type
To some cutting the grass is just a chore they hate
Others may want a really nice lawn
It's all horses for courses really

Soldato
So long as its dry enough go ahead, thats really for your convenience sake grass won't care either way just don't do it when its waterlogged as you'll churn the grass into mud. I've cut grass in the pouring rain doesn't harm the grass at all but obviously will clog up the mower. Good luck!

Don
Well I'm not sure it was worth the effort (still too wet for the cutter to pick the grass up fully) and that the dog will be traipsing grass in for the next week, but it will look a lot tidier when brushing my teeth in the morning.

Also, the dogs positioning for both photos is unplanned and brilliant!

mGdKUpn.jpg

SnwhQr2.jpg

Soldato
I normally dont bother over the winter ... but it seems to have kept growing this time round.

I fitted some outdoor lights on a dusk / dawn sensor which shine down across the garden through the night and it seems to have helped the grass grow too ! Its near 4" long now !!! Lord knows how long it'll be in the spring :)

What would OCUK do ?
Why on earth do you have outside lights on all night? What a waste of electricity!

Back
Top Bottom