Should i go to sleep while working on call out of hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I work in the UK PR office for a major theme park resort in Orlando as a press/PR/publicity manager. We have a rota (1 night at a time) for the out of hours on call officer for media enquiries that need urgent attention. We usually get around 2 calls an hour and 5 emails an hour to the office during the night. Some of them don't really need urgent attention and could wait until office hours but the on call officer is "not allowed to ignore any enquiry that comes through to the office while they are on call". Should I just stay up all night when I'm on call?

Don
On-call isn't the same thing as working an entire shift.

2 calls and 5 emails per hour is not on-call, that is a working shift. On-call is to be on stand-by INCASE you are are needed. 7 enquiries an hour is not on-call.

Are you paid an hourly rate for the whole shift, or some on-call allowance?

Permabanned
OP
On-call isn't the same thing as working an entire shift.

2 calls and 5 emails per hour is not on-call, that is a working shift. On-call is to be on stand-by INCASE you are are needed. 7 enquiries an hour is not on-call.

Are you paid an hourly rate for the whole shift, or some on-call allowance?
Well the 7 enquires is just an average, sometimes it's less, occasionally more and very very really none.

Our employer calls it's being on call and not paid any extra for it, we are salaried if that makes any difference.

Don
Well the 7 enquires is just an average, sometimes it's less, occasionally more and very very really none.

Our employer calls it's being on call and not paid any extra for it, we are salaried if that makes any difference.

Your employer is shafting you :) At the very least, I assume you don't work a day shift either side of that night on-call window?

Associate

Sounds like you need a new job. What does your contract say? A salary is typically for 37/40hrs a week within a certain time period as 9-5. Being salaried isn't a reason for them to have you work all night for free

Soldato
You are being exploited, on call suggests you may not have to do anything overnight but could be disturbed in exceptional circumstances. What you've described is a night shift.
If you are expected to work following that period of time you need an adequate break between shifts. From the sound of it you would be working 2 days straight with no sleep which is not only unreasonable, but dangerous and illegal.

Soldato
I don't understand how a "media enquiry" can be that urgent unless there's some kind of major incident going on? As others have posted, how are you supposed to get any sleep if you're answering a query every ~10 mins? That's definitely not "on-call"

Permabanned
OP
I don't understand how a "media enquiry" can be that urgent unless there's some kind of major incident going on? As others have posted, how are you supposed to get any sleep if you're answering a query every ~10 mins? That's definitely not "on-call"
As we are dealing with theme parks, even something like a ride breakdown is considered "urgent" to the media!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom