Should I switch to using a password manager (currently using Veracrypt)?

Soldato
I've been wondering for awhile now whether I should switch to a dedicated password manager or not? I currently use an encrypted volume using Veracrypt stored in cloud hosting which syncs with all of my machines.

The only problem is that every time I want a password I need to manually decrypt the volume and then copy and paste the password then dismount the volume and quit Veracrypt which is a bit of a pain to do at times especially if you need a lot of passwords.

What I would like is a password manager which works with both Windows 10 and Linux and with Google Chrome and Firefox, and that can import the passwords in my text file (which is over 1000 lines long now).

Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Or I guess I could stick with Veracrypt if that is the best option.

Soldato
Bitwarden, I switched from LastPass several months ago and prefer it to the point I deleted my LastPass account, you can import passwords into Bitwarden via a text file from Lastpass, I'm not sure if it will allow you to import your own text file though.

The free version will cover most people and if you did want the premium features it's $10 for the year.

Soldato
OP
Bitwarden, I switched from LastPass several months ago and prefer it to the point I deleted my LastPass account, you can import passwords into Bitwarden via a text file from Lastpass, I'm not sure if it will allow you to import your own text file though.

The free version will cover most people and if you did want the premium features it's $10 for the year.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm tempted to get the premium version and a Yubikey 4 to go along with it.

Have you considered this yourself?

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm tempted to get the premium version and a Yubikey 4 to go along with it.

Have you considered this yourself?

I've thought of subscribing to give the dev some money, the extra features I don't have a current need for or have used previously, I use the web addon on Firefox.

Soldato
OP
I've been using Bitwarden for a couple of days now and have to say that I love it.

Apart from a small unrelated problem (my Android phone died) which means I can't login to any sites that use SMS 2FA so I can't order my Yubikey NEO from Amazon until my new phone arrives today everything has been going well. I'll sign up to Premium when my Yubikey NEO comes in the post.

Soldato
OP
Upgraded to Premium and got my Yubikey NEO and it all works very nicely now. Very impressed with the software. The browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox are great, and the desktop app is pretty good as well. For $10 a year for 2FA and 1GB of encrypted storage you can't really complain.

Soldato
OP
I'm starting to forget passwords to sites, How do these password managers work?

I can only talk about Bitwarden since that is the only password manager I have used.

You install a browser extension for whichever browser you use (I've tried it with Edge, Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10). You then go to the login form on a website, and when you have unlocked your Vault you can click on the website name in the extension, and it automatically puts your password in the fields.

If you haven't yet saved the password to Bitwarden then you can click the extension on the log in page or registration page and click on "Add Login". There you can generate a password and insert a Username and save it. Finally, you click on the protected website, and it will fill in the form for you.

There is also a desktop application if you need it which does the same thing without requiring a browser open. Furthermore, you can save things like credit card details and identity information (basically an encrypted address book).

It all works very well all in all, and if you buy premium, you can add a 2FA device to your account for even more protection ($10 a year).

Back
Top Bottom