Should I upgrade or start from scratch?

Associate
Hi,

I’ve been off the gaming scene for quite some time and I never really had a strong understanding of the hardware I was using in the first place.

I played a lot of Total War Warhammer 3 and was always annoyed I could play it in 2k at a solid 60fps. I needed to be able to play it in 2k because I foolishly bought a 2k only monitor. Besides the point.

I’ve pasted my specs below and wondered if someone could give me some feedback on what they think I should do, upgrade my current rig or just sell it buy a new pre-build. I don’t really have the knowledge to build something myself so if I were to upgrade my current rig (which has been in storage for 2 years) I would presumably have to send it to someone.

I have a one terabyte SSD not a 250 GB like it says below but that is the only thing that has changed.

CaseTHERMALTAKE V200 TEMPERED GLASS RGB EDITION GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCle NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB
CACHE
Intel Optane Memory16GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT
PORTS

Thanks
Tom

I would first test out some games you want to play and see how they run with what you've got first.

If you are unhappy with the performance go from there, that PC isn't too bad depending.

WH3 is a CPU intensive title, so a CPU upgrade would benefit you. The cache on the Ryzen X3D CPUs is good for gaming and excels in strategy games in particular.

WH3 is a CPU intensive title, so a CPU upgrade would benefit you. The cache on the Ryzen X3D CPUs is good for gaming and excels in strategy games in particular.
According to this its not that cpu intensive especially over 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom