Should I wait?

Associate
I bought the Dell S27DG16 last month, but had problems with it. After going through 3 new replacements, I decided just to refund it and go back to my old monitor.

Not sure what I should do from here. I definitely want to upgrade to at least 1440p (currently just using a 144hz 1080p 24" monitor)

Should I just wait to see what else comes out? I really like the idea of ultrawides and such, but prices are just ridiculous atm.

Soldato
I bought the Dell S27DG16 last month, but had problems with it. After going through 3 new replacements, I decided just to refund it and go back to my old monitor.

Not sure what I should do from here. I definitely want to upgrade to at least 1440p (currently just using a 144hz 1080p 24" monitor)

Should I just wait to see what else comes out? I really like the idea of ultrawides and such, but prices are just ridiculous atm.

Keep going until you have a nice 1440P panel. It's a massive upgrade over 1080P.

I think it will be 2-3 years until 4k 120Hz+ monitors and GPU's capable of driving them are at affordable prices.

Last edited:
Associate
Wait until the Samsung VA's with Impulsive Scanning (Samsung's name for a strobe backlight) come out next month.
They're 1080p but at least you will have 125% sRGB space (true 8 bit) and more options than just playing the panel lottery.

The 1440p IPS panels are all lotteries. The 1440p TN panels all may have the same defects which manifest the same way (sudden blurry text across half the screen, etc, same symptons on ROG Swift and Benq XL2730Z), and working panels may have Inversion Artifact issues. Not saying you will have this problem, but the symptoms are the same.

Soldato
Monitor market is moving extremely quickly at the moment so waiting is always a good idea if you're in no hurry.

If you need 144hz, you're probably going to be stuck with 1440p for a while, though.

I'd say 60hz users(or people who are fine 'downgrading' to 60hz) would do well to wait a year or two for a 4k setup.

Soldato
IPS 1440 panels are indeed a lottery. I got so fed up. I actually went to store and fired up the monitor I was after in store (paid first like) Getting repeated small faults with deliverys is painful and thoroughly disappointing events.

Associate
Get the cheapest 27" 1440p IPS available and wait for OLED or SED or some other new technology.

LCD monitors seem to be going backwards from GB-LED and glossy, even polarisers, to being WLED matte with trash image quality.

Back
Top Bottom