Should the BOE issue a £100 note?

Caporegime
OP
Cash is just not commonly used these days especially with the new millennials and things all going digital.
The 5, 10, and 20 is plenty for most of the population?

That's more an argument to not need to print as many of the various denominations in general, there are £50s of course still and as pointed out earlier they're more like the £20 note from a couple of decades ago in terms of value now.

Soldato
What we need is a million pound banknote for the gucci belters, corner sofa-ists and dons to wave around.

It would need to be considerably larger than a common bank note so it may need a custom built wallet.

Caporegime
OP
What we need is a million pound banknote for the gucci belters, corner sofa-ists and dons to wave around.

No need to stop at 1 million, how about 350 million? :D

3pbmUje.png

Soldato
I was reliably informed by the chap at the car wash the other day "Cash is king and without cash there is no King and all you are left with is Camilla"

He then went off on one about how nobody likes her.

Soldato
People saying no one uses cash anymore. Yet cash use went up last year. I'm seeing more and more small shops taking cash only because they don't want to pay the CC companies fees.
On the flip side of that argument - I refuse to buy from places that don't accept card payments, as I don't carry cash around anymore

Soldato
People saying no one uses cash anymore. Yet cash use went up last year. I'm seeing more and more small shops taking cash only because they don't want to pay the CC companies fees.
Cash usage went up relative to the year before, where it had been almost decimated by COVID.

I'm seeing the exact opposite, I can now happily pay almost every Taxi/market stall with card (iZettle etc).

Soldato
I think I've only come across one or two 'cash only' places since covid. That was probably the first time I used cash in about 3-4 years (and it wasn't even mine, t'was the misses)

If you visit places like e.g. Chinatown in Birmingham you'll see a number of restaurants only taking cash. They are usually rammed too.

Cash is also a backup for WHEN a business internet link or card payment system breaks.

Soldato
Only use cash to pay tradespeople for odd s jobs
I have found that the trades will ONLY take cash around here.

Simply so they don't have to declare it.

Our bathroom fitters work for Wicks.
They put all the wicks stuff through the books.
ANYTHING extra (over 3k for us) was cash only and NO BT. If we forced BT they added 20%.
They even told me, it's so they don't have to pay tax on it.

The Landscapers due next month, asked for 4k cash or 5k BT... We all know why.

If the Gov cracked down on all these tax avoiders... heh

Soldato
I have found that the trades will ONLY take cash around here.

Simply so they don't have to declare it.

Our bathroom fitters work for Wicks.
They put all the wicks stuff through the books.
ANYTHING extra (over 3k for us) was cash only and NO BT. If we forced BT they added 20%.
They even told me, it's so they don't have to pay tax on it.

The Landscapers due next month, asked for 4k cash or 5k BT... We all know why.

If the Gov cracked down on all these tax avoiders... heh

They should be forced to pay tax for sure but it’s not my job to enforce it . I’m curious to see how much it could claw back if we went cashless. Must be a few £b.

I’m assuming the best time is once we get to a generation at the top that is comfortable enough to be all digital and use cards. Can’t be far off now I would expect. Most people I know on 60-70s are fine with it. Good number in 80s too.

Back
Top Bottom