Should the government do more to help the steel industry or....

Permabanned
OP
Prices are falling because of overproduction worldwide. There would be no support for the government changing the working and reward practices at the steel plants to make them much more cost effective, so the idea is a non starter.

I can think of 3000 people straight away who would support government help.

Soldato
My answer to the OPs question.

No

Ok that's 7,000 people primary people out of work in South Wales and then the another 21000 people effected by contract companies closing and those that provide services to the workers.

The majority of the skilled craftsmen/ engineers will leave the country as there is no work for them and the rest will either be on the dole low paying service jobs.

The Welsh valleys will be further driven into the floor and Swansea will become Merthyr on sea.

Man of Honour
I can think of 3000 people straight away who would support government help.

Government help to make the industry viable would result in redundancies as plants are improved and automated, and pay cuts to make the economics work. I doubt you would support that...

Permabanned
OP
Government help to make the industry viable would result in redundancies as plants are improved and automated, and pay cuts to make the economics work. I doubt you would support that...

What do you know about how steel plants work Dolph?

Man of Honour
The problem is making steel is not energy efficient, the amount of energy is converting iron to steel is rediculas, looking at around 3-15000cm3 per blow. Depending on carbon content.
We already harness the excess heat which is turned into steam and powers steam turbines.
We already collect the carbon monoxide that is inturn used as a fuel in turbines.

If tata actually in vested in the following we would be breaking profit targets and producing steel no else could.

* new coke ovens with by products section, the one at port Talbot was produced in the 70s . if we had that more coke oven gas would be produced and we wouldn't have to import natural gas. Also we could properly harness the following more regularly.
- tar used for road construction £2000+ per container
- ammonia used in medicinal and fertiliser £ 1000 per tanker
- benzine used in fuel £10,000 per tanker
- naptheline £7000 a tanker
With a new by products section we can produce the above amount 3-5 times a week which pays for the wages of that part of plant.
* refurbished and third vessel added to primary side of bos plant as this is the bottle kneck of the entire chain.
* new secondary steel units as they haven't been upgraded since the 80s
* new hot mill as it can only roll 1800 mm instead of the 2600 mm car manufacturers are asking for. It would cost £200mil but would make its money back in new orders and less maintence in less than 5 years.
* new power plant as most of the steam and gas produced on site is going to waste.

Like I said the main issue is chronic lack of investment

We have proven we can produce the high quality steel but have our hands tied by government regulations and forgien owners

Investment I can get behind, but part of that investment has to also include automation, which in turn means job losses. The challenge in getting a viable proposition is that it has to work with current or lower steel prices. That means tackling costs of production, which isn't just about energy costs and green taxes, but manpower costs which are also much higher in the UK.

Soldato
No, for 2 reasons:

1. Every other industry in trouble will expect the same.
2. Massive over capacity in the world wide steel industry. This will just become a race to the bottom and many of the other players have deeper pockets than us.

Money needs to go into investment in retraining the people affected. Construction is suffering huge skills shortages and this country needs a lot more houses built, motorways, rail, decrepit sewerage systems replaced and the list goes on. These are also conveniently quite hard things to import, so even if a foreign firm wins the bids, the people on the ground will be overwhelmingly British.

Permabanned
OP
Investment I can get behind, but part of that investment has to also include automation, which in turn means job losses. The challenge in getting a viable proposition is that it has to work with current or lower steel prices. That means tackling costs of production, which isn't just about energy costs and green taxes, but manpower costs which are also much higher in the UK.

I think you under estimate the damage green taxes have caused to the UK steel industry.

There were huge capital costs incurred in the industry just get ready for green taxes, never mind the subsequent levies that were imposed.

Permabanned
OP
The same applies to the wider pool of people. Why's propping up something unsustainable on an indefinite basis better than spending money on creating new jobs/moving people to other work/etc, with the aim of creating sustainable work and useful skills which mean that subsidy can end (as opposed to dragging on indefinitely)?

I wouldn't support indefinitely propping the industry up. I think there is some merit in looking into the possibility of changing the tax and energy regime around the industry.

Soldato
I think you under estimate the damage green taxes have caused to the UK steel industry.

There were huge capital costs incurred in the industry just get ready for green taxes, never mind the subsequent levies that were imposed.

The Government doesn't need to "support" heavy industries, it just needs to stop going out of its way to actively cripple them!

Man of Honour

I don't underestimate them, but they are not the sole cause of our issues. Without also being willing to tackle production costs, it doesn't do enough to just get rid of the green taxes.

Soldato

I think you are overestimating the ability to automate, a factory is easy as the temperature is regulated, the process is stable and the not usually very dirty.

The problem is most of the automated equipment cannot handle the areas, or the system is very automated as it is.
You have to remember that when the steel works opened it employed 40000 people in south wales alone so it has been reduced significantly down to 7000.

We made a Profit before tax last year of 250million, non of this stayed in the company or got re-invested. instead TATA used it to produce a new plant in india where they kill people every week.

But hey lets get everyone working in the service sector and just circulate the money we have around and around with out making any more

Back
Top Bottom