*** Show Off Your Apple Hardware ***

Associate
So, lately I've been experimenting with a 'modular' setup featuring no monitor. I've grown increasingly tired of trying to find an external display that can come close to the XDR Display of the MacBook Pro (without having to spend £5-6k!).
So since I had the 12.9 iPad Pro kicking around I thought I would give sidecar a proper go for when I need a second display (which isn't that often to be fair).
Obviously, in the interests of tidiness/minimalism I could run sidecar wirelessly but I prefer the more robust cabled option.
How was your 28 inch (am guessing 4k screen?) with the macbook? was it decent in 1440p mode, getting a bit tired of the blurriness on my 32 inch 4k screen so was wondering what a 27 inch 4k would be like, as 1440p high dpi doesnt look too bad but just looks really big on a 32 inch.

Soldato
How was your 28 inch (am guessing 4k screen?) with the macbook? was it decent in 1440p mode, getting a bit tired of the blurriness on my 32 inch 4k screen so was wondering what a 27 inch 4k would be like, as 1440p high dpi doesnt look too bad but just looks really big on a 32 inch.
The Huawei screen was very good and was excellent value for money although it must have been quietly discontinued because it's impossible to find now. In the end I sold it because, as good as it was, it wasn't as good as my MacBook display and I got a good price for it.
I did pick up a Dell 4k 27 inch towards the end of last year but only because it was £179 direct from Dell and it's handy to have for those times when I need a larger or more ergonomic monitor. I still use the MacBook/iPad 95% of the time.
As for 4k in general, it's a big step up from 1440p (in terms of how iOS handles it), I'll never go lower than 4k in that regard. I find 4k scales perfectly well and it looks tack sharp to my eyes - YMMV.

Last edited:
Associate
The Huawei screen was very good and was excellent value for money although it must have been quietly discontinued because it's impossible to find now. In the end I sold it because, as good as it was, it wasn't as good as my MacBook display and I got a good price for it.
I did pick up a Dell 4k 27 inch towards the end of last year but only because it was £179 direct from Dell and it's handy to have for those times when I need a larger or more ergonomic monitor. I still use the MacBook/iPad 95% of the time.
As for 4k in general, it's a big step up from 1440p (in terms of how iOS handles it), I'll never go lower than 4k in that regard. I find 4k scales perfectly well and it looks tack sharp to my eyes - YMMV.

yeah my 4k 32 inch definitely looks a lot sharper than the 1440p I had before, its a shame though that 1440p looks awful as an external monitor on the MacBook otherwise one of the oled 1440p would have been perfect. might try a 27 inch 4k to see how well it looks downscaled to 1440p HiDPI.

Soldato
the finished setup..

vxm2Bav.jpg

Soldato
I know I shouldn't, but I'd still fancy a trashcan... How is it?

Only just picked up an MacBook Pro M3 Pro, so a bit daft wanting one. It's so pretty though!

Yeah mate, it’s a terrific piece of engineering. I love it. Still snappy in todays terms, although I only use it for the basics..

Check out CEX, you get yourself a two year warranty and they are cheap as chips for what your getting!

Soldato
I looked at one of those, and it seems the last Mac OS you can install on it is Monterey, and support for that version finishes this year. Think that's right anyway...

Soldato
Received my mother's replacement MacBook Air. And man, for the money I'm very, very impressed at condition.

Will not be configuring until tomorrow, but apart from the damage on the front lip, its very good, even things like "tight" hinges etc..

UodXjK1.jpg

my6ocZo.jpg

Ibhp8Tf.jpg

will update on performance etc tomorrow, but I'm not expecting M3 performance so..

Soldato
Mums new laptop. Awesome for the money, perfect for her uses, nippy for its age, running Monterey and around 250ish cycles..

And my keyboard in "Blue" arrived today, mint condition really, was stated as "used" but that and the cable, mint.

nVU6szS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom