Show us your garage!

Soldato
We're moving house and we're finally getting a large detached garage! I plan on converting it into a woodworking workshop.

So OcUK show me your garages! Show me what you got!

Soldato
Shan't - mine looks like a tip :)

The main thing is - what are you wood working?

I pretty much made all my stuff by making things like a circular saw into a saw table with shuttle and router into a router table.

Commissario
I'd post a picture of mine...but it's currently almost unusable :(

So here are a couple of pics from ~7 years ago when it was just nearly unusuable (taken when I had to do some work on the underside of the roof so everythihng was being pulled off the walls/into the middle of the garage to allow easier access)).

day3a.jpg
day1b.jpg

It was laid out so there is around 4 meters or work surface along one wall, with the intention we could cut wood etc on it, and use the morticer, whilst another wall has around 3 meters of work surface, then there is a smaller work surface with the belt/disk sander and the thicknesser.

Unfortunately a couple of years of looking after my mother, followed by a couple of years of being quite under the weather myself means it's in an even worse state now, not helped by the build up of odds and ends (including my neice's huge dolls house). I had started tidying it last year and had at least regained the floor fully, before I did myself a mischief in the back garden and then had the dolls house arrive for "a few week".
One of my primary plans for this year is to try and get it cleared and usable again, and see if any of the wood I'd bought to make a set of 2x4 rolling benches is actually usable, as I'd got the wood and fittings to make 4 benches that could be moved around/joined together depending on the layout I wanted (IE they could make an 8x4 gaming table, 4x4 gaming tables, or 4/8/12/16 foot work surface).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd post a picture of mine...but it's currently almost unusable :(

So here are a couple of pics from ~7 years ago when it was just nearly unusuable (taken when I had to do some work on the underside of the roof so everythihng was being pulled off the walls/into the middle of the garage to allow easier access)).

day3a.jpg
day1b.jpg

It was laid out so there is around 4 meters or work surface along one wall, with the intention we could cut wood etc on it, and use the morticer, whilst another wall has around 3 meters of work surface, then there is a smaller work surface with the belt/disk sander and the thicknesser.

Unfortunately a couple of years of looking after my mother, followed by a couple of years of being quite under the weather myself means it's in an even worse state now, not helped by the build up of odds and ends (including my neice's huge dolls house). I had started tidying it last year and had at least regained the floor fully, before I did myself a mischief in the back garden and then had the dolls house arrive for "a few week".
One of my primary plans for this year is to try and get it cleared and usable again, and see if any of the wood I'd bought to make a set of 2x4 rolling benches is actually usable, as I'd got the wood and fittings to make 4 benches that could be moved around/joined together depending on the layout I wanted (IE they could make an 8x4 gaming table, 4x4 gaming tables, or 4/8/12/16 foot work surface).

Looks like an awesome garage plenty of potential.

Soldato
If you were looking for a 'detailing garage' theres plenty I can show you to envy over. However with woodwork, look on youtube and a lot explain their layout and where tools go and etc.
If all else fails, Pintrest is a good source to get some visualisation.

Associate
Mines a bit of a mess currently, but not too bad overall. Its a Frankenstein design that reuses a lot of things i got for free. Its mainly for diy not full-blown wood working and also has the need to keep the centre space clearable to park a car inside for repairs.

If i were to start from scratch i'd redo the floor with something nice and make sure it was evenly sloped to the door for liquid run off. I'd build an entire full-length bench on that far wall with drawers and cupboard all under it. Cupboard along the whole top and a tool wall under the cupboards

PN0XKFx.png

Soldato
For wood working I would plan for:
* Solid reasonably heavy table - space to move around it.
* Wall mounting for hanging tools - a form of board with movable pegs etc that hold the tools - I just have some floor particle board with two coachbolts to the wall then screws in for the pegs.
* decent vacuum/dust extraction system - a must.
* decent strip lights
* decent consumer box power connection for everything.

* saw table - better than a tracksaw for most things unless it's large sheets
* plane / thicknessesser
* router table - more stable than a hand router and gives good angles of cut.
* band saw - I have but not used simply because I don't get the same clean cut as my home made table saw. If you're doing straight cuts then a table saw is easier.
* grinder/sander - good for fast starting sharpening of tools before you move to stones for chisels etc.
* bench drill - for getting accurate angles.

So as you can see - you've got options with a double garage but to keep it clean without spending ages cleaning it.. then that vacuum/dust extractor should be first on your list.

Oh .. and good luck with keeping from being a dumping ground from the mrs :D I've just had to do two tip runs to make mine accessible again after the pond build.

Lastly - I'd look to make the garage door seal against the weather with better security. That allows you to put a heater in there to keep your hands warm in winter. Careful as wood dust and exposed heating elements is a fire risk.

Soldato
My garage is 6mx7m and is about 3.5m high in the middle i think.

It's not big enough, i don't think you could ever have a space which was :(

here's a few pics of mine. I made a workbench for the corner with vice and somewhere for a PC to go. Made a big high shelf so i can lose a load of rubbish up there like xmas decorations and whatever. Got some rack shelving with lots of boxes for stuff so i've got half a chance of finding stuff.

The problem is there just isn't enough room for everything i've got :( i need to sort the Mini out and get rid of it as that'd make it a far more enjoyable space as currently if i want to work on a car i have to move all the trains outside which is a pain. Doens't help that i bough a lathe/milling machine a few months ago so that takes a decent chunk of space too.

Big shelf, highly recommended if you have the height to make it work:
AM-JKLVxP1DqnerqTFZqpG-lAKDw47C76jcr3HWdCkM2P7T-iXBUK9dJoUdWpNWO_oWcGF83k5xBFaWzQ9NTvzYwSDq20ckq2Ljf6uAJgPyKF4vm-RtHAyvfIXMUCOEBtorJ22nB_70Zg99FzxVGjFnZxhRBwQ=w1730-h1297-no

Workbench, has since had the vice bolted down and looks way more messy:
AM-JKLWI__bTWqfkA86bmI6Drye8VgxbFE93KNlS0dg5386_lktI2C025LyxCt6lgZW6In_NTrXYpDs5tf1wIsEMKIbgBVQhlU5thCSoCsGwdJ9cRjLnoImIuISVXjtjYjSJNzMEQBh0i7dtqprkPugcWJv0iQ=w1730-h1297-no

Latest toy:
AM-JKLU3dE8_U77Q5xM7rnKiskaFJ3CYWDXFGjgyJXFcDKVRn1_2SP9p0-r4ZJ1nzfqYZyfrsOiHtfBkHnSKLdYro3yctW8JCgsRcrTpAOGokHxdQMd5aEwuiL8l9bO1uM6Y1gHjXxMK5Vl4mV3QWpe7uD--jQ=w1730-h1297-no

This is what it looks like a few days ago:( :
AM-JKLUkq-k5yMoxPQN-8LNmT8y8kh0Cj2BU8TitfEkkjB-UZ9-ZipOrOAsha2O87Ysu-pi9m-WdNNVo4lHsuNkKMFrtRf4mmJCJRhns8-T0aKS33cUULFPYWBHx6_eKor46CcBlSJPXuJ0F8Jxmwf8rfyvFmA=w1730-h1297-no

The main problem with mine is its trying to be too many things, it's storage for overspill from the house, storage for project car, storage for my trains & stationary engine, metalwork workshop, a place to work on our current cars along with all associated tools like engine hoist as well as somewhere i can fix general stuff like guitars and whatever's broken in the house.

It worked well to begin with having 2 empty 'bays' to work on cars or whatever and leave one stored but over time it's just a bit of a shambles :p

Soldato
This photo was taken in 2017 and since then I've spent many hundreds of hours in my garage spinning on the bike. I've stopped riding now and we are converting this into a PC/console gaming room next year

36350936804_a045acea7d_b.jpg

Associate
will try and get a picture of mine when i have reclaimed it:) inherited a focus so thats on the 2 poster but since inlaws died everything from there house sort of filled ours and overflowed into garage so double double now full and just managing to squeeze the mondeo in grrrrrrrrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom