Show What You're Working On

Associate
I'm converting a static site to Modx for the boss. I chose Modx over Wordpress as need to keep the look and feel - much easier to do with the templating features in Modx.

Original site is at http://www.conortravel.com, the WIP is at http://modx.artworkacademy.com

The WIP site still needs quite a lot of work and can be a bit sluggish as its on a fairly busy server with Bluehosts* - Don't know that I'd really recommend them for commercial sites due to heavy server load being the rule rather than the exception, but their one-click install service via Mojo is great for trying out stuff.

*I know, it's an affiliate link. Trust me, I need the money as an Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber.

BlueHost sucks. Had 5 clients in the last 3 months with major complaints. Moved two off and one was going to but his subscription renewed for 2 years the week before.

Soldato
BlueHost sucks. Had 5 clients in the last 3 months with major complaints. Moved two off and one was going to but his subscription renewed for 2 years the week before.

I'm inclined to agree to a large extent - as I stated I'd not recommend them for commercial sites, but I do find them convenient to try out different CMS etc without faffing about on manual installs. When I finish sites I package them and re-deploy to whatever ISP the client prefers.

I have prestashop, oscommerce, drupal and joomla in assorted bluehost subdomains in order to get to grips with them and haven't had any real problems, but Wordpress was so sluggish it was pretty much unusable.

Associate
I'm inclined to agree to a large extent - as I stated I'd not recommend them for commercial sites, but I do find them convenient to try out different CMS etc without faffing about on manual installs. When I finish sites I package them and re-deploy to whatever ISP the client prefers.

I have prestashop, oscommerce, drupal and joomla in assorted bluehost subdomains in order to get to grips with them and haven't had any real problems, but Wordpress was so sluggish it was pretty much unusable.

It's an area that I think I'm alone in my thinking but, WordPress, to run super quick...needs WordPress optimised servers. Tweaks to how the database in interacted with, removal of unnecessary extensions and bits and pieces designed so that anything can run on the server.

Soldato
I think this would be classed as a bump!

rgxFHtu.jpg

Started on sketchup which i've not used before mainly to get an area of land contoured with levels to take into AutoCAD to start working on a model in-situ. A bit of a pet project cos there's a wrecked building on a nice countryside plot near to me that i would quite like to build a house on but that minor thing called funds are restricting that idea! If all else fails it might work as a folio piece.

Soldato
Big bump :p

Got a few personal projects on the go

An octree-based 3D navmesh generation and pathfinding plugin for UnrealEngine

https://github.com/midgen/uesvon

A realtime procedural terrain generation plugin for UnrealEngine

https://github.com/midgen/cashgenUE

Got a few other plugins that I maintain, a GOAP planner, and a noise system.

Some of my code will in The Division 2 launching soon, although it's not my main project :)

Soldato
Some of my code will in The Division 2 launching soon, although it's not my main project :)
That's cool, can you expand or are you under an agreement not to divulge what you've worked on/shared? Seems quite odd that a big developer like Massive is sourcing code from individuals, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Soldato
That's cool, can you expand or are you under an agreement not to divulge what you've worked on/shared? Seems quite odd that a big developer like Massive is sourcing code from individuals, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I work for Ubisoft, so not outsourced :) I don't work on The Division directly, but another project that shares some code with it.

Back
Top Bottom