Shower riser rail - sealant?

Caporegime
Hello,

Need some plumbers advice -

Just installed a shower screen and riser rail and obviously the screen needs sealing around the profile.

However, what generally gets done for the riser rail? It has two screws going into tiles (one at the top and one at the bottom) and from what i can see no one seals around the brackets, but what if water gets in behind and into the screw hole/down the back of the tiles/plasterboard?

Does something like this need any sort of sealing?

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
I've not bothered before as its held tight against the tiles with the screws.

That is what i thought, as i had never seen sealant around them. What concerns me is that the tiles are slightly ridged/textured so the mount doesn't sit entirely flush (ie there are gaps). However i imagine even if the tiles were flat, without sealant, just screwing the mount in wont create a water tight seal as there will always be a small gap probably.

Would it be a good idea to put some sealant around the screw hole before screwing it in perhaps?

Caporegime
OP
Personally i would fill plug holes with silicone then apply plenty behind bracket,let it squeeze out,then clean off excess
Last thing you want is for water to get behind the tiles/plaster

Sounds like a good plan. Will do this. Should at least give it some waterproofing. Going around the bracket might look messy and i haven't seen that done anywhere else so i think, what you suggested would be good.

Associate
I cut my raw plugs down and make sure they are pushed fully in past the tiles to make sure all the expansion takes place in the wall not the tile hole and risk cracking... then fill them with silicone before screwing into place

Soldato
As above, throw some clear sealant around / in holes.

I've just modified my planned tile layout to avoid my riser bar going into/over a grout line for the same ingress concerns.

Back
Top Bottom